Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New XB12X rider looking for some misc info

New XB12X rider looking for some misc info

Hey everyone!

I'll start by confessing I am brand new to the world of Buell...but..after looking at them for the past year, I finally picked up an '09 Ulysses yesterday. (no pics yet, as it's still on the trailer, and needs cleaned badly after getting caught in a snowstorm yesterday) Since I'm stuck in bed today, I figured I would ask some questions!

I am looking for some information on what to expect when I work on it. I've been working on/rebuilding Suzuki's for close to 10 years, but they are obviously all metric. So, I am wondering what type of tools I should start looking at. I will be doing all my own work, unless it requires a specialty tool that costs more then the job. It doesn't seem to need nothing right away, but I want to be prepared for tire changes, brakes pads, etc. The tools for basic maintenance.

I've been researching a lot about the bike, and believe I will like it. I keep running into a problem though, a lot of the info is from several year old posts, and the link to sites that no longer exists. Anyone happen to have an up to date list of popular sites for the bike? Things like the best places to buy parts, parts cross reference list, best sites for whatever reason you like it. most of the sites I generally use, are primarily sport bike focused, and don't even have listings for Buell.

Finally, I have replaced the headers/mufflers on pretty much every bike I've owned. I found a LOT of info on the actual mufflers, but not much about replacement headers. Do most people here just focus on the mufflers, and leave the headers stock? I know I will have to alter the ECM, and am planning on using Buelltooth.

Thanks!

There are posts on here that are pretty up to date on most if not all of what you ask. If you look around and do some searches in I'm sure you will come up with all answers, if not there are people who will chime in here.

I've only owned my Ully since last spring, and that is the first Buell I've ever owned, so my help is limited but one thing you should do is, take the grounds off, clean them really well ( no matter what they look like ) then apply some anti corrosive to them. You've got the updated version of the motor which took place in 08 and, many of the bugs were worked out, it's a great bike, I know I like mine a lot. Depending on how handy you are you can pretty much do anything on it, especially with the help you'll get here, just make sure to do one THING, when the guru's suggest a sequence on what to check, do it in order ! Then you'll save a lot of time and money and make it easier for them to help you, and make sure to post up the end results.

Good luck.
    Last edited by njloco; 03-04-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Inactive
    I am looking for some information on what to expect when I work on it. I've been working on/rebuilding Suzuki's for close to 10 years, but they are obviously all metric. So, I am wondering what type of tools I should start looking at. I will be doing all my own work, unless it requires a specialty tool that costs more then the job. It doesn't seem to need nothing right away, but I want to be prepared for tire changes, brakes pads, etc. The tools for basic maintenance.
    seems to be your biggest concern. if you've been working on bikes for 10 years as you said you've probably amassed most all the tools necessary to work on any XB model. a 13/16th deep well 1/2 inch drive spark plug socket flipped around with an extension inserted into the spark plug receiver end fits both F&R axles....the suspension adjustments are metric....turn signal post nuts are 14mm(9-16th inch same)...battery terminal bolts 10mm....most everything else i can think of is SAE. i'd also note that most all fasteners on every XB had one form or another of factory applied loc-tite or adhesive applied to same when the bike was assembled. keep that in mind when wrenching.

Thanks for the replies. I have a page saved for the known ground issues, but gotta wait till it warms up to do anything with that. My fingers don't function too well below 50.

I just figured most things on this bike would be SAE, which I don't really have much of a selection. Since I'm stuck in bed today, I was reading the owners manual, and was happy when I saw the tools listed in the toolkit, and saw metric stuff! I was just worried that Everything was going to be SAE. I should have read more first

Quote Originally Posted by Danballa View Post
    Hey everyone!

I'll start by confessing I am brand new to the world of Buell...but..after looking at them for the past year, I finally picked up an '09 Ulysses yesterday. (no pics yet, as it's still on the trailer, and needs cleaned badly after getting caught in a snowstorm yesterday) Since I'm stuck in bed today, I figured I would ask some questions!

I've been researching a lot about the bike, and believe I will like it. I keep running into a problem though, a lot of the info is from several year old posts, and the link to sites that no longer exists. Anyone happen to have an up to date list of popular sites for the bike? Things like the best places to buy parts, parts cross reference list, best sites for whatever reason you like it. most of the sites I generally use, are primarily sport bike focused, and don't even have listings for Buell.

Finally, I have replaced the headers/mufflers on pretty much every bike I've owned. I found a LOT of info on the actual mufflers, but not much about replacement headers. Do most people here just focus on the mufflers, and leave the headers stock? I know I will have to alter the ECM, and am planning on using Buelltooth.

Thanks!
    Dont tell anybody but some of us own Suzuki's also.
    05 1_794.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 03-04-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Oooh, I'm telling !

You'll want a basic tool set with both SAE and metric sockets and wrenches. Some bolts could be either one. You will also want a set of both SAE and metric allen wrenches, and a set of Torx. With those you should be able to do anything on the bike. Under the seat the factory tool kit (if it's still there) should contain an axle tool, it looks like 2 nuts stuck together.

I’ve found that St. Paul HD is a good place to get parts .

So is Lunaticfringe !

T27 driver (for adjusting/removing the headlight and every body fastener)
    3/4" hex (for the axles),
    7/8" crowsfoot on a 6" wobbly extension (for the O2 sensor)
    A Sportster/Buell clutch diaphragm compressing tool (for doing the clutch pack)
    the 45* tool (for the intake manifold flange)
    A 3/8" drive torx driver socket set, and SAE allen set (for everything else). Add fuses and zip ties and you can confidently tour the world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast