Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bueller. New Key on order.

New bueller. New Key on order.

Hi guys. I just picked up an 05 XB12R from my uncle. He hadn't ridden it for about 5 years. He still hasn't found the key for me. I got the title transferred to my name and was able to order a new key from HD. Turns out the keys are on backorder from Italy??? They say it won't be here until May. Meanwhile I sent the fork out to Traxxion to be revalved. The front of the bike is hanging by a rope from my garage rafters. Without the key I can't remove the seat to get the the shock out to send to Traxxion. I also cant get to the battery to change it out and without removing the seat I can't remove the air intake cover (gas tank) to change the spark plugs. I'm anxious to work on this beauty. Do you gys know how I may be able to get the seat off without the key?

You may be able to unscrew the tail light to get access to the latch mechanism. This works (at least on a Lightning). May be worth a shot.

Edit: ok wait... I think the key latch does just the passenger seat. Isnt the front seat bolted on like a 1125? If so, pull up the back edges and unscrew.

Google "firebolt seat removal" and look at the images. I tried to link one, but they're not playing nice.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-06-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Thank you 34nineteen

There are 2 t25 torx screws towards the back part of the seat. Just lift up the back corners. The air box comes off the same way just 3 t25 torx screws. One under the seat and to by the neck. Download the service manual here on the site or I can email you a copy. Don't forget to use the search bar at the top.

You still need to get the back seat off to get to the battery.

Probably much easier to pop the lock and get a new set from e-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You still need to get the back seat off to get to the battery.

Probably much easier to pop the lock and get a new set from e-bay.
    On the Firebolt the battery is under the rider seat.

Inactive
    an R model is a firebolt. no key required to perform any of the items you're speaking of.
    riders seat: lift up each rear corner of same and it will expose the hold-down fastener....1 per side. remove same...remove the seat....and go to town.
    key: buy a blank online, remove ignition switch assembly, take to local locksmith, and have fresh key cut then make duplicates. cost a few bucks but certainly beats you "may delivery time".

Thanks a lot everyone. I got the seat off last night due to your help

Quote Originally Posted by chief_of_smoke View Post
    There are 2 t25 torx screws towards the back part of the seat. Just lift up the back corners. The air box comes off the same way just 3 t25 torx screws. One under the seat and to by the neck. Download the service manual here on the site or I can email you a copy. Don't forget to use the search bar at the top.
    They are T27. almost everything is T27. When you use T25s, you eventually strip the bolts or tool.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhamburger View Post
    Hi guys. I just picked up an 05 XB12R from my uncle. He hadn't ridden it for about 5 years. He still hasn't found the key for me. I got the title transferred to my name and was able to order a new key from HD. Turns out the keys are on backorder from Italy??? They say it won't be here until May. Meanwhile I sent the fork out to Traxxion to be revalved. The front of the bike is hanging by a rope from my garage rafters. Without the key I can't remove the seat to get the the shock out to send to Traxxion. I also cant get to the battery to change it out and without removing the seat I can't remove the air intake cover (gas tank) to change the spark plugs. I'm anxious to work on this beauty. Do you gys know how I may be able to get the seat off without the key?
    Are they cutting the key at the dealer by vin? Or ordering it cut? You can get buell xb style key blanks on eBay fyi. At least you used to could. I think I've even got one somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast