Thread: DIY TIME-SERT replacement for stripped swing arm oil drain plug

Cool DIY TIME-SERT replacement for stripped swing arm oil drain plug

I posted the other day about how utterly disgusted i was with myself pulling a rookie mistake and stripping the drain plug and then HD for putting wrong specs in the manual.

Now id like to share some pictures about how i fixed it. was not hard at all, and the most expensive part is the TIME-SERT (100-130$)

17.jpg

you can find them on amazon 1/2-20 with .400" inserts

I bought a motorcycle swingarm stand from harbor freight for 30 bucks and it worked great
    part number Item #65620

I did not have to put the bike on its side. there was enough clearance with it on the stand, and it helped with keeping metal shards out of my swing arm.

with the bike on the stand, i removed the exhaust. pretty straight forward stuff. I removed the belt tension pulley to do it, but you may not have to with some ratchet extensions. either way, it shouldn't take that long, and its necessary in order to install the TIME-SERT.

21.jpg

now its all about following the directions that are provided with the time-sert.

I used grease on the drill bit and taps to capture the metal shards. worked well. i also flushed with oil in-between every step.

12qw.jpg

its also very important to oil up the insert drive tool before you thread the insert on it

i mostly used hand tools (ratched & tap wrench) but also used a drill for drilling out the old threads

left to right.jpg

counter bore- tapped threads- and insert

everything went well, and nothing seems to be leaking.
    i started her up with no muffler on because im a child, and had to get my neighbors for stealing my laundry quarters. it was glorious.
    im leaving it on its stand until i can put the muffler on tomorrow

22.jpg

let me know if anyone needs to use the time-sert kit. just pay shipping both ways. and dont be a twat and steal it.
    hope this helped a little bit

worked out pretty wekk

Nice repair. The buell aluminium is pretty soft in my experience compared to other bikes. It's not hard to do.

Good recovery, you made the mistake on your own and resolved it on your own but, the icing on the cake is that you took the time to post up good information on how to do the repair and, made a great contribution to the forum !

While I pray I never have to use this good information, great job and thanks !

yup, pretty straight forward process. just put the exhaust back on and shes running well

Great post, and nice DIY fix. Thanks for taking the time to add to the good info found on here

I commend you for putting in the time and effort. Great work. We are all lucky to have your contribution and info at our fingertips -- if only I could have the patience and focus to take pictures and type up a DIY. Coming soon. ...

great share! is the kit still available? I'm quite certain my swing arm threads have given up on me as well during this last oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by notanothergsxr View Post

you can find them on amazon 1/2-20 with .400" inserts

I've been having to do this repair with hesitation. Thanks for sharing your instructions w/ pics; really appreciated.