Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front isolator bolt

front isolator bolt

How do i get the bolt out on my 01 Blast? Got a hex socket into the head of the bolt but can't get a socket or wrench on the nut. I'm following the manual (which is not helpful on this point) supplemented by Jet Lee's procedure (thank you) to try to get the rocker cover off so eventually after a few hundred more steps I can get the cam cover off and check the extent of the damage from the oil pump drive gear getting chewed up.
    Last edited by EBuellient; 03-28-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: add bike model

You are about to need a new front Isolator. The bolt sticks to the rubber and this destroys the part when forced out. These can be hard to find and Harley just made a batch in March for those waiting on BO. The price jumped from 66.00 to 116.00
    If you order now who knows when they will make more. Sorry to give you this sad news, perhaps you can still get one off ebay or a member in here will sell their extra. But that would not be me, I did my time waiting on this part with the last run.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...olators-are-in

buy these now people http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Buel...JWUNF0&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by midway; 03-28-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Banned
    I believe Blast has different isolator.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    I believe Blast has different isolator.
    Great! Hopefully this is good news for him. By the way, how do we feel about preventative measures toward our isolators? Maybe pull that bolt now and then, put something anti-corrosive on the shaft?

Thanks guys--yes the Blast's looks like L1501.T and good for me (a her BTW) it seems much less expensive. But the good news is I was able to be the cam cover off and pull the offending oil pump drive gear. I checked the other gears and innards and so far I didn't see any other damage. If anyone has suggestions for specific places to look, please let me know.

I think I finally figured out which 2 isolator bolts JL was referring to and got everything loosened up from there. I'll try to post photos later. I'll mess with the evil main front isolator bolt later. Now it's parts acquisition time.

Shiny side up and all that.

Great news!

Where you at in norcal?

Sacramento area--how about you?

Photos

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

In case anyone else is trying to muddle thru this:

I wasn't sure how far the engine would drop so I strapped it to the backbone and put a flat Jack under. Oil was already drained but it still peed oil for awhile so have those absorbent pads.

Loosened the two bolts on either side of the front isolator bolt, then the front lower frame bolt, then engine dropped enough to get the rocker cover off. Loosened the bolts per the manual to give enough play that the rocker arms were loose/clear of the push rods. Used a utility knife blade to pop off the cover on the ignition module/cam position sensor, removed the two fastener, moved the module out of the way, took a picture of the inside, then removed the nut holding the rotor on. I'd already taken the bolts out of the cam cover so I held my breath and gently worked it off. Voilą! Took another picture of the cam markings and positions. If I did it right there should be photos attached.

I'm not familiar with the blast model but I'm interested in your tear down and inspection. I'll keep an eye on your post and give my 2 cents FWIW when I can--anything to help get you and your Buell back on the road.
    Last edited by Simplymichaeljr; 03-29-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Thank you, much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast