Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Brake Pads

Noisy Brake Pads

I installed EBC rear brake pads on the XB and they are quite squeaky. Is there another option out there that is OEM or as close to OEM as possible?

Did you go through the "breaking in" or "embedding" process. Might also try cleaning up the rotor with scotch Brite. I have EBC on my front brakes and never experienced a squeak. That might do away with the squeaking you're hearing. I just ordered and installed the cheapest rear pads you can find on flea bay--no issues. I'll wait to upgrade pads when I upgrade rotor and do the hidden rear brake.

Inactive
    EBC from england arguably the finest motorcycle pads in the world. they do not squeak or squeal. ever. incorrect installation is the problem....not the pads.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-03-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplymichaeljr View Post
    Did you go through the "breaking in" or "embedding" process. Might also try cleaning up the rotor with scotch Brite. I have EBC on my front brakes and never experienced a squeak. That might do away with the squeaking you're hearing. I just ordered and installed the cheapest rear pads you can find on flea bay--no issues. I'll wait to upgrade pads when I upgrade rotor and do the hidden rear brake.
    I scrubbed the hell out of the rotor with scotch brite and then bedded them in ferociously, nosie has gone away..... thank you....

Update: The squeaking returned almost right away. I removed the EBC pads and installed OEM brake pads. The rear brakes are now quite as a church mouse.

Sanding brake disks is a terrible idea (unless you are getting pulsing from an improper bedding procedure). Sanding them un-does what they NEED, which is some pad material transferred to the rotor surface. That will make them last and be effective for the life of the pads.

Overheating the brakes, especially when they are new during the bedding process will almost guarantee pulsing, ineffective material transfer, and usually noise as a by product of them not working well.

Bedding the pads is mandatory for proper brake performance, but bedding them "ferociously" will cause issues immediately. There should never be enough heat to make them smoke, do not stop during the process, let them cool completely afterwards.

I don't work there or anything, but I have never had a problem with EBC pads. Including noise. If the noise comes back, remove the caliper and clean all the old brake dust off it around the pad mounting area, very, very, well. Do that right and 99% of the time it will fix noise issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Sanding brake disks is a terrible idea (unless you are getting pulsing from an improper bedding procedure). Sanding them un-does what they NEED, which is some pad material transferred to the rotor surface. That will make them last and be effective for the life of the pads.

Overheating the brakes, especially when they are new during the bedding process will almost guarantee pulsing, ineffective material transfer, and usually noise as a by product of them not working well.

Bedding the pads is mandatory for proper brake performance, but bedding them "ferociously" will cause issues immediately. There should never be enough heat to make them smoke, do not stop during the process, let them cool completely afterwards.

I don't work there or anything, but I have never had a problem with EBC pads. Including noise. If the noise comes back, remove the caliper and clean all the old brake dust off it around the pad mounting area, very, very, well. Do that right and 99% of the time it will fix noise issues.
    IDK, I am running EBC pads with a Braking Wave rotor up front, no problems ever. The combo of the OEM rotor and the EBC pads in the rear just never worked for me. OEM pads with OEM rotor though.... Like butter.

My rear squeaks too with the ebc' s, but I chalked that up to me likely not bedding the rear as well as the front... stock rotors both ends.

It is hard to get the rear bedded properly. For me, I don't really use it that often (ever) to know where it's limits are. I honestly used a temp gun in a OWB holster to check it while riding Ya overkill, I know.....

All my Buells have had notoriously bad rear brakes.

Rear brakes..... rarely use it. Agreed ^^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast