Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot depress clutch lever while engine running

Inactive
    whether the motor is running or not....you have the below 4 things taking place when pulling in the lever:
    1-lever rotates on the perch assembly
    2-the inner cable is pulled thru the outer cable assembly. the outer cable assembly always remains stationary.
    3-the clutch actuator assembly rotates and applies pressure to the clutch diaphragm spring via tension between the spring, the primary cover, and the actuator
    4-the diaphragm spring releases pressure applied to the clutch pack.
    in all likelihood you either have a faulty cable and/or fautly actuator assembly including the actuator lip on the inside of the primary cover which provides the backing tension for all of it to work.
    start by removing the clutch cable and derby cover(the large round primary cover that is held in place by 3 torx screws) and begin investigating. it's one of the simplest clutch activation systems known to mankind and any fault will quickly be visually identified.

^^^^once you remove the derby cover and pull in the clutch lever you will be able to see the clutch actuator mechanizm engaging(or not.) This sounds like a case of double checking your work since you did a lot of maintenance.

Well, looked over the bike today and......its official .....Im an idiot! I had forgotton to tighten one of the primary cover bolts, the one nearest the rear wheel.
    The symptoms were not of being able to disengage while engine running or not but of temperature, soon as engine gets hot it shows itself. Bike was running ok this weekend despite the loose bolt so i guess i have damaged something by now.
    Will investigate futher tomorrow when i get my tools from garage , start and opening up the inspection cover.
    Thanks for all the help!

Sorry, I own the idiot crown. Last night, I drained the oil on my primary and adjusted the tensioner, while I was adding a new quart of Formula+ "whats that noise? awwww no!!!"

Yes, a fresh quart of Formula + mixed in to my old oil in my dirty drain pan.

^^^^^lol I don't know how many times I've done that on my work trucks

Is this issue resolved TAZ? I guess I needed pictures... you went right over my head with the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by midway View Post
    Is this issue resolved TAZ? I guess I needed pictures... you went right over my head with the explanation.
    Yeah, did you take the inspection cover off and pull the clutch lever to see if your actuator is working properly? You can manually do it instead of using the lever. Do you by chance have a newer clutch pack with an extra plate? I heard you can't use the muller power clutch with that.

Well i guess i keep good company!
    The issue is not yet resolved more than that a visual check revealed that one of the bolts on the primary cover is loose.
    So i will gee my tools this evening tighten up the bolt, readjust the clutch and perform a visual to see if the clutch is actuating according to the info here and then try starting the bike.
    So issue is not yet resolved but i beleive i have found the main cause.

Simplymich: standard original 2006 clutchpack: problem is loose primary cover bolt

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by midway View Post
    did you read what this guy posted? he's claiming that one loose primary cover attachment bolt might be the culprit. i can assure you and he that it is not. problem lies within the guidelines i provided to him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast