Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Well.....Bye.

MMM pie.
    I think Opto is coming down mid-march? I'll be up in the PNW the first week of March (flying), and I have a camping trip to the Grand Canyon on the STT planned for the end of March.

I will be going up and down the west coast a couple times this year, hopefully on the SX if I can manage some clean bag mounts or even tie down points. It's turning into a bit more of a race bike than a tourer. From LA, through Yosemite, Big Sur, Crater Lake, Klamath Falls, etc. Lets hook up!

Did an oil change on the SeX. The manual does a very good job for the oil change procedure, I recommend you follow it. I added a few steps because I beat this awesome thing pretty hard some days and I'd like to be aware of any potential inside-parts-becoming-outside-parts situation.

Get it warm. It only takes about a minute of idling to get the fans to turn on. Thats plenty.
    Wear gloves (duh) Lately Ive been liking the rubber covered cloth ones, they are tactile enough, oil resistant, cheap, and slightly heat resistant.
    Check the oil level (on the side stand) before. This will keep an eye on oil consumption.
    ZTNeh3%qR5O%kz2VGTK+5Q by Cooter!, on Flickr

On the side stand, take off the left plug (17mm plug), and the oil filter cap (2- 5/16" bolts), and filter. Theres just enough room to get around the quick shifter you better have!
    4sdawMs8SFCcjf1WglMa%g by Cooter!, on Flickr
    2ucsrnV9SRW+P56FGHcs6A by Cooter!, on Flickr
    *Wipe out the inside and the cap with a white t-shirt and look for shiny bits. Terry cloth tends to hide them.
    *Do not hose out this area with Brakleen. It is engineered to break down oil. Do you want that in your engine??
    w5khp7uWRkCp+bGJRuF4Pw by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Dv+rhDbmS%y9q82Rc96NEg by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-27-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Use a new o-ring. You don't need to spend $30 at the EBR dealer... Make sure the diameter and thickness are good and it is a oil resistant material like Viton.
    OWYFL0aKSNKcDnXOHipYrw by Cooter!, on Flickr
    I got this whole kit for $20
    pfE9X5vOSq2mdc6xa3v19g by Cooter!, on Flickr

Don't re-assemble yet but put the bike on a stand, and pull the muffler. Which is this bolt (for the chain idler)
    QwPt9TW0Tj+xFVdQ4bnGSw by Cooter!, on Flickr

This bolt just behind it for the rear of the muffler is much easier to remove with a ball-end long hex driver.
    Ypt06ctwQ5G4ifQqCzsRyQ by Cooter!, on Flickr

Go to the band clamps (11mm flute)
    xI3BsZAxQz6hpzt6JQlJpA by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Rd6ARJ0CRDC2WzEDACqxsA by Cooter!, on Flickr

Support the rear of the muffler with your hand and remove the last bolt

5b481LRzTTS5s81CpvXk9w by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-27-2018 at 05:04 PM.

And the muffler should hang down and pull off the header pipes. Careful of the front exhaust gaskets.

And remove the second oil plug (6mm allen) Action shot!!!
    b4VPTDLJSOiR68QXIB5sMA by Cooter!, on Flickr

See that plate with 5 bolts in it? Its the oil sump. Theres a screen in there you want to see and clean, so take it off. (5- 5/16" bolts)
    CsrdiPl7SHyHFSsR5p%lEw by Cooter!, on Flickr

Yummy! Theres another o-ring that holds it in place, it just pulls out.
    04E+lItYRiC3gOzvVx%e5w by Cooter!, on Flickr

Just some RTV, an some small bits. I took a magnet to see what was ferrous and non-ferrous. A bit of both. Nothing major.
    eH5LIp4BQCOn2mv80Rd%Og by Cooter!, on Flickr

And check the other plugs too:
    B%AgG%m6SlKpQ5WReeGP+g by Cooter!, on Flickr

Cut open the old filter and see what you can find in there.
    zW+3m%KLThqiOrHJJF4PYA by Cooter!, on Flickr
    bNuVB0AcR0yoQZ0OxGOavg by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Not much, yay me!
    fvLUYwYDTkqq%siFkWMeCA by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-27-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Put it all together with new O-rings. The drain plugs have metal gaskets that can be re-used.
    Use good oil. V-twin specific and use the viscosity for the lowest ambient temps your bike will see. Anything below 40* is 10w-40. My temps require 20w-50.
    7ZOlUm3sSgWIu2T0o6EQVA by Cooter!, on Flickr

Lube the ring a bit with your finger and shove it in the hole.

tBeq0obSRd6JmGP4lU3AQg by Cooter!, on Flickr

With everything back together, put in three quarts (should take 3.3L total with a filter change), put it back on the side stand and start it.
    Watch your dash to make sure the oil pressure warning goes out. I let it run for a minute to get it warm again.
    Check your level (on the side stand) and add in 1/4 qt increments until its near the middle of the range. IMO trying to tip top as much oil as you possibly can in an engine can cause bad issues.
    +4k9rNnySNqqHbNLDhC6ZQ by Cooter!, on Flickr

This is slightly more than I wanted, but well within the range. It took 4 full quarts to get there.

Just a side note: When the bike is back together and full of fluids, and you are about to put the muffler back on. If you are a child (like me) and just have to start it for a second with open headers.....

Wear ear plugs! Holy Shnikies! It's LOUD! My iPhone app said 125dB at idle and maxed out with any twist of the throttle. Stuff fell off the shelves, the neighbors came over, the cops showed up, and the ghost of Lemmy came down to give me a thumbs up.
    IMG_1571 by Cooter!, on Flickr

Just before you crack the celebratory Barley Pop, take a minute to put the old oil in the now empty quarts. Clean and easy to recycle that way instead of hauling a drain pan around to the auto parts store. Just toss them in the car and next time you're passing a pep boys, voila! A baby seal and Al Gore say thank you
    OfwWY6HLTFu2y9+EXuVOAA by Cooter!, on Flickr

Even better to recycle it yourself! Since it's so clean (2000 miles) and very high quality oil, I use it for shop lube, the lawn mower, oil rubbing wood (Royal purple is great for that) or find someone with a oil heater, they will gladly take it for free. Since V-twin oil has a high zinc content it's very similar to diesel oil too so I'll top off the oil in the Duramax, or put some in my 60 gallon diesel tank every once in awhile.

Now you can have that beer, you just saved the environment

And wash your filthy bike too We gotta represent the brand YO!

Nice sequence.

And strongly second the re-use oil pitch. I use mine to re-condition the wooden slat floor of the trailer 2-3x a year. Keeps it nice regardless of the beating it takes under the elements.

I did the Teak on a REALLY nice wakeboard boat with Royal Purple. The guy was stunned at how good it looked but I never gave up my secret!

Also on a side note... if one were to squeeze Al Gore and that baby seal perhaps the oil that came from them could be used as an alternative lubricant source. Or at least an additive. Al Gore is a pretty slimy guy.

Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast