Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Well.....Bye.

34--I will keep the key switch/steering lock but hope to loose the "Fob". It is kind of a proximity switch. If you don't have it near the bike it won't start. If it(Fob) has a dead battery it won't activate either. I can make the XR1200X fobless but it will cost $400 bucks at the H-D shop. It seems worth it 'cause I see a scenario where you are basically shut down because your FOB died or it fell in the creek or whatever.

Barrett--thoughts?

Also--due to the weird tire size on the front--120/70 ZR18--tire availability is reduced. Barrett what are you running on yours?

I watched "On any Sunday" on Amz. A motorcycle documentary done in 1970 by Bruce Brown. I missed it back then. It is totally awesome--50 years ago and they were kicking butt big time.

Opto

No worries on the Hi-jack Opto, I love these things! I'm cataloging all the good info John passed along and someday hope to have an XR of my own

Whats an XRX? and ya, whats an LA motor?

Shaughn: the factory and the dealers distinguish between the 2 models as either XR or XR-X. as memory serves, the X has a vented oil tank...floating front brake rotors...blacked out exhaust....multi-adjustable F&R suspension....remote reservoir on rear shocks...MSRP slightly higher. unfortunately, NO mirage orange pearl color offered for that model. there is no specific designation in an XR VIN to denote factory color. but there are at least 2 hidden factory stickers signed by the original H-D painter, from which the factory color can be determined.
    XR has the LA motor....XR-X has the N(non)LA motor. all XR motors built and assembled at powertrain operations in Menomonee Falls, WI. all XR's assembled at the now shuttered Kansas City plant...with the exception of the 100 or so assembled at the Brazil plant, for Brazilian consumption/sales only. those have a distinctive VIN. the LA motor is silver natural cast finish parts with what i would call "Buell-spec" cams and top-end components, and ram-air. the non-LA motor is the same but blacked-out finish on all components. the motors/trans units were given these distinctive designations so that both the powertrain assemblers as well as the KC assembly line workers, would know what motors went into which models. make sense?

John: your XR alarm system was an expensive option. retain it. the FOB is a proximity style FOB. its internal battery is a popular #2032 lithium style. simply pop open the FOB with straight head screwdriver and replace the battery every 4-5 years. what nobody seems to be aware of except most dealers, is that the actual alarm system control module has its own self-contained battery. in size and appearance it resembles a small 9-volt battery. it is continuously charged by the bike's battery. supposedly has an infinite life-span but have heard of a few dealers replacing them to rectify system problem. the alarm system is bomb-proof and H-D has built and installed millions of them across-the-board. NO idea why you would not be satisfied with it, but if for some odd reason you are, then simply disarm it. said instructions are tedious but spelled out in owners manual.

PS-run a quality JASO-MA/MA-2 rated synthetic in the primary/trans. Amsoil 20W50 syn and dedicated 20w50 v-twin syn excellent. mobil-1 20w50 cycle specific also excellent. i'm sure there's a few others. the XR trans can be a bit "notchy" with conventional 20w50 cycle specific oil.

and there ya go!

disarm instructions as per OM
    2013-02-03_134301_security_pin_disarm.jpg
    Last edited by Barrett; 11-06-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks, Barrett, that is a lot of useful information.
    Cooter, I am not sure you would find the XR very comfy as you are a long legged guy--but you can try mine out.

I will probably retain the fob thingy, but it is just one more thing to fuss over is all. Probably a good idea to change out that battery as the bike is 8 years old so who knows..?
    I know if I want simple go with the early Sporty--XLCH --Well that option is out unless I stumble upon one for a decent price. One bike in the garage is all I can handle for now.

One other issue is tires. What are you running on your XR's, Barrett? I wanted to go with the Avon Trail Riders, like I had on the Uly, but they don't have the ZR18 front for the XR.

What windshield did you put on your XR? Harley offers one but it is big $.

Once again--check out www.cycle-ergo.com ---it is free and so helpful to size bikes in relation to your shape.

Opto

I want something good in the wet and on forestry roads. All my trips end up with some dirt roads here and there--

Re: XR1200X

So I solved my saddle bag problem temporally by using my old set of throw over leather bags that have been on at least 6 bikes. I will go with the Spitfire windscreen so now I am ready for mini-cruising.

The big problem is still TIRES. I would like to head in the direction of Adventure tires but not overly aggressive with big knobbies and stuff. Problem is the ZR18 front is a rare size.

What are you using for tires, Barrett?

Opto

Well, no well wishers for me and my XR so I guess I am history on this channel. Anyone need some free stuff--I forgot to take a few things to the trade in.
    1. Stock Uly Windshield
    2. Uly '09 Drive belt in good condition
    3. Stock ECM for the Uly

Opto

Quote Originally Posted by optomist View Post
    Well, no well wishers for me and my XR so I guess I am history on this channel. Anyone need some free stuff--I forgot to take a few things to the trade in.
    1. Stock Uly Windshield
    2. Uly '09 Drive belt in good condition
    3. Stock ECM for the Uly

Opto
    I'm sure Super Cooter could use the belt and ECM.

Enjoy the XR.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-24-2020 at 04:57 PM.

searched for over a year, for an unmolested mirage orange pearl XR that didn't have an asking price at or near original MSRP. abandoned by original chick owner in dusty, dank garage in Rhode Island, of all places. just finished it over the past weekend.

xr2.jpg
    004.jpg
    xr3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

The color combo looks great, classic Harley .

You'll still come by and say hello, yes ?

Now that I think about it, do you by any chance have the rear plastic fender that holds the brake light, license plate and left and right blinkers on for a Ully ?

Last edited by njloco; 11-25-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast