Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Well.....Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Finally back in town and had a nice package in the mail. I had finally called Tim at IDS to see what he could do about my inop quick shifter. He gave a valiant effort over e-mail to try to help, but nothing worked. As a last resort, he had me send in the EBR "tips" ECM I have to check it out. The fueling program in it was almost identical to theirs, but there were several ECM parameters that were different. One of which was the QS input was set at the BAS pin... Geez. I went over that several times with EBR... anyway...

THE BEST MOD EVER. If anyone says that a QS is hard on a transmission, they haven't used one properly. The timing on this is perfect. super smooth upshifts and a wide range of RPM and throttle opening. I can confidently upshift mid corner with no fear of it stepping out.
    Awesome to hear....

And thanks for helping me with my XB quickshifter. I will say, until we lowered the timing to 90ms, it would 'definitely' step out mid turn when using it. I actually would like to try 80ms, but tunerpro won't let me move it lower (perhaps it's an XB software limitation?).

I think, and I mean no disrespect, that it's less of someone 'not using it properly' as it is of getting the right amount of information to properly dial it in and get it working with the bike. This (namely, lack of information and detailed instructions, etc.) is becoming a theme, to my mind, with quite a few things in the motorcycling world. If you're not fortunate enough to 'be in the know' or ask exactly the right questions at just the right time, then you're hosed trying to 'figure it out'.

I look at that as a learning curve. That you can share with others.

Yeah - that's the key - sharing it with others...

And some folks have a steeper learning curve than others - they shouldn't be treated as 'idiots' or folks that shouldn't be let near a wrench. They just need more detailed 'lessons learned' passed on to them.

Yeah, Learn from my mistakes. I learn something new every day.

Ya, super cool decals huh In two days I've already got a couple nice comments on them So, instead of 'What kind of bike is that', I get 'Cool badges... what kind of bike is that?'
    The EBR's came off with my thumbnail and just a dab of WD-40 for the adhesive, but I stopped getting "Wow, the CBR's look different from when I had my Honda in the 90's"

Vincenzajay: You're welcome Theres a whole lot more to compare with XB's and EBR's than just kill timing for the QS. The SX's delay is almost imperceptible! I don't know what the timing is or if it's just spark kill or fuel and spark, but I believe it includes an algorithm for each specific gear and throttle opening %.
    Comparing apples to apples...my XB needs every bit of 120mS to QS smoothly. My XB just needs more time than yours to have the engine decelerate to match the next higher gears, lower RPM point. FWIW, I account that to the fuel map I'm running.

I stand by my quote of "Not using [the QS] properly". It includes every aspect of not using it properly. Including ignorance. From the physical (timidly up-shifting) to the mental (having it set improperly). Did you hear about the kid who picked up a gun and shot himself? It wasn't the guns fault...

My thread, my opinion
    Basic instructions I agree with and I do read them But "Detailed instructions" for adding a simple, mostly universal part to your specific bike shouldn't ever exist. It only exacerbates the problems. Crazy right? Hear me out.
    If the person trying to be a bike mechanic, doesn't understand bike mechanics thats where the problem is. Not the part, and not the bike. They need to have a little experience, common sense, and understand the theory to do the job, or ask, or pay, someone who does.

Ever hear the joke about the ignorant guy who tightened the Buell drain plug to 35Ft/lbs? He used "detailed instructions". Hahahahaha, thats a good one
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-09-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Don't be offended by my use of the word "ignorance" either. Everyone is ignorant, including yours truly. You won't find me wrenching away at the power plant on a nuclear sub! Ok heck I'll give it a shot, but I suggest you go very far away

"Idiot" is an offensive word that suggests someone knows better and doesn't use that knowledge. I don't use that word unless the definition fits clearly. "I am an idiot for working on a nuclear sub that I am ignorant on fixing".

'The ignorant kid shot himself is a sad statement.

'The idiot kid shot himself', isn't.
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-09-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Your thread - your rules.

But I continue to be confounded by the state of affairs where someone (including yours truly) asks a question and doesn't get an answer to that direct question (often an orthogonal one - but not one that indicates a careful reading of the question being asked). The questioner can certainly admit to 'ignorance' of that particular issue (note the different use of 'ignorance' - to be "ignorant of a certain thing" is different than being 'ignorant simpliciter' - that should probably, I claim, be clarified when using even that word) without being an 'ignorant' person.

Let me be specific - if someone asks (and I'm intentionally referring to my other thread so as to use a concrete example) how to, say, remove the solenoid signal wire - in fact, asks very directly if 1) do you just remove the green wire? or 2) do you remove the entire plastic assembly within which the green wire is terminated? One would think answers to that question would be targeted at clarifying that state of affairs. When everyone kind of ignores that specific question and talks about everything else for a page or two (in that particular case, on my thread) such that I have to go off-board and ask someone else entirely for the mechanics of how to carry out the instructions given, it demonstrates a corresponding lack of communication skills - i.e. listening to the question being asked - then answering that question....

I can generalize that to any number of times I have read threads (here and elsewhere) when someone has asked those kind of questions, and the board 'intelligentsia' treats that individual in a somewhat patronizing manner. Having had to lead people, sometimes large numbers of people, both in and out of combat and other deployments for almost 3 decades, that kind of listening/answering makes me cringe just like nails on a chalkboard.

(I hasten to add that often it's the poster cum questioner's fault....they ask a question, get a specific answer - and then ignore the answer completely. Reversed problem - same communication skill deficit or just hardheadedness in general.)

I'm sure that's not the intent of most of these responses - so I'm not ascribing motive to anyone here. But it does warrant mention as an observation from the 'cheap new person seats' - where I definitely sit mechanically. When I see a phrase like "use it incorrectly", I begin to wonder what causes folks to do just that. I would proffer that it's often just a lack of information (or 'ignorance of that thing' - as you said) - and as such it could be easily countered with information.

Note that I'm specifically complimenting you here - when I was urged (by you and others) to 'go for it - it's fun' and purchase the QS for the XB, I did so. When it worked wonkily, you came through with the answers as to 1) what probably was the problem, given my symptoms and 2) how to adjust certain parameters within the tuning program.

That is the kind of help that allows me to pass on to others (which has already happened offline) those 'lessons learned' that Silverrider is talking about.

And yes, I first tightened my oil cap to the service manual spec...that was before I got on this board. Won't do that again...

I'm rambling - and this is your thread about a very, very cool 1190 SX.....which you can't keep on two wheels very often

Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    I would proffer that it's often just a lack of information (or 'ignorance of that thing' - as you said) - and as such it could be easily countered with information.
    Of course information is all they need. That is the solution to the definition of ignorance.

Ahhh, communication. How I miss you so Theres a whole conversation of why its gone, but the bottom line is you are correct. You have heard "Garbage in, garbage out". My quote is "Your answers will be only as good as your questions". Feel free to use it (and send me my royalties)!

(Not in reference to your thread, I'm venting here...) I must be a masochist because I spend my limited free time helping people I don't know by using my experience to diagnose something I cannot see, cannot touch, from a source is ignorant (that is why they need the help in the first place). To worsen the situation, the subject is usually very impatient, unprepared, unqualified (obviously) and can even be combative! Now add lack of communication and the fact that humility is long gone.

"Whats the answer"
    (A)
    "That's not it!"
    You asked.
    "You are dumb! Thats not IT! I'm right, I'm right, I'm RIGHT!!!"
    Ok.
    "Jerk!!"
    You're welcome... next? (sigh)

Step by step actual diagnosis, is the only way to properly repair something. It is methodical, logical, faster, easier, and more educational than the guesses thrown around in any 'get a tune/buy a battery/I have a hiccup' threads. Sure, you can get lucky, but did it help you fix it next time?. Nope.

You could help a monkey get the orange out of the vase, if you could communicate with it.

This de-rail was fun, but I'm going riding

Where the heck is Buell challenge thread this year!?!
    (heads off to start one)...

Coot, Maybe you can regale folks with the planning and thought that went into your wheel bearing event--Arco, wasn't it?

Opto

Still riding around here, mid-forties--love the heated grips on the Uly

Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast