Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Well.....Bye.

LanesplittingLegalityByStateUpdated2019.jpg

"Lane Filtering" was never addressed in Cali, it was something we all just 'did'. Much like Europe and India, It's a matter of practicality.
    Recently the CHP "recognized" it as legal in Cali (CVC21658) in order for them to write "guidelines". Sorry for all the quotes, but their words matter. It's reported as a "law" but it isn't one.

Laws are written tho dis-allow stuff. Laws aren't written to allow stuff. Thank God. But I digress.

I'm pretty sure Utah passed a bill to allow lane filtering this year and a couple east coast states are very close. (Conneticut IIRC?) Things are thankfully changing. I remember Oregon has been close to passing it a couple times when I was up there. You'd think Washington with it's terrible traffic would benefit greatly, but who knows? It usually gets determined by a couple old senators who have never ridden anyway and perceive it to be scary for them in their cages. IMO, I think it's because they are startled by a bike next to them that they never saw coming... because cagers never check their mirrors

IMO, I generally follow the CHP guidelines just as a matter of self-preservation. It's not worth the risk to be going 80 between cars if they are all traveling 70 on the freeway. BUT through Santa Monica, I will go to the front of the line at every light and dramatically shorten my commute by just moving through the stopped cars.

Opto: Your throttle hand is your responsibility haha, and your CHP guy was right, sort of. Their "Guidelines" say use the left lanes, under 30MPH, and >10MPH speed differential... but you can't get a ticket because it's not any "law" you'd be breaking. That said, they have an arsenal of ways to stop someone from riding like an A-hole. Generalities like "aggressive driving" and "loss of traction" for wheelies and fast acceleration. I have a collection of those, wanna see?? LOL

Oh! Thanks SR! haha. I'm going to agree with our current Presidents point of view in that 'If it isn't illegal, It's legal' So I will confidently lane filter in 13 states

I can tell you I see a whole lot of people lane splitting in TX (not addressed), and Florida (deemed illegal? didn't know that) and it seems an accepted behavior by the Po-Po. I split through traffic in Florida for years at stop lights, and even sat next cops in their cruisers on occasion, one time I had just bought a Mossy 590 and had it hanging out of my backpack. I was never cut-off that day

The biggest problem (as usual) is the cagers. The DMV says that only 60% of drivers in Cali are aware that lane filtering is legal. ONLY 60%! and it's been legal forever!?!
    Like Opto said, their ignorance can make them mad and jealous. I get pinched out by oblivious a-holes and forgive most of them. I only have a small collection of car mirrors

BUT, If you attack me with your 5000lb air bag protected battering ram and pinch me out on purpose, I will "be in fear for my life" and therefore excused in the courtroom. Your sobbing family will have to go on without you.
    Last edited by Cooter; 10-14-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks for the useful map, SR. Cooter, after having the squeeze put on me multiple times I thought a grenade through the window would be appropriate but that was just adrenaline talking of course. It really is a big fast moving Zoo out there.

Last time I splitlaned on the 101 near San Jose--I went through about 20 layers of stalled cars to come upon about a 15 car wreck, trucks upside down people walking around in shock, people pulling people out of cars -- just hideous.

Opto

OMG that sounds terrible!

Hope everybody else is having a Great Columbus Day on your bikes.

IMG_1379.jpg IMG_1382.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-14-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Didn't get to ride today, but had a nice ride on Saturday with Bubbles and....

...her '05 XB12Scg!

She's keeping the Blast (for now, lol) but wow she got a smoking deal on this! Even giving close to asking price. He was a really nice and honest guy, local, who took VERY good care of this bike. Drummer, RSS, CRG levers... He even brought Bubbles a brand new rear Michelin Road Pilot 5 because the new Rosso III had a plug in it. And a HUUUGE box of NEW OEM parts in the bags like gaskets, cables, signals.. everything. She really couldn't be more stoked. I'm so happy for her

It's got a bit too much power for her right now which is understandable coming straight from a Blast, but she fits on it and looks DAMN fine on it as well. Ya know, priorities! She can't wait 'till the next track day. What have I DONE?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Didn't get to ride today, but had a nice ride on Saturday with Bubbles and....

...her '05 XB12Scg!

She's keeping the Blast (for now, lol) but wow she got a smoking deal on this! Even giving close to asking price. He was a really nice and honest guy, local, who took VERY good care of this bike. Drummer, RSS, CRG levers... He even brought Bubbles a brand new rear Michelin Road Pilot 5 because the new Rosso III had a plug in it. And a HUUUGE box of NEW OEM parts in the bags like gaskets, cables, signals.. everything. She really couldn't be more stoked. I'm so happy for her

It's got a bit too much power for her right now which is understandable coming straight from a Blast, but she fits on it and looks DAMN fine on it as well. Ya know, priorities! She can't wait 'till the next track day. What have I DONE?!
    Awesome !!! Great looking bike for her ,SCG and all. Bet she is loving it !!!! scored

That Drummer SS sounds so good!

I was just reminded that when I installed my keyless EBR gas cap (same as 1125 and XB) I had an issue with gas draining out of the little vent hole on the left side of the gas filler neck in the frame.

Problem #1 was the gasket didn't seal. Permatex #2 (non-hardening, and the only gas submerged rated sealant I know of besides Permatex #1) solved that, then that tiny barb was too long and just creased the breather hose when I installed the cap. I unscrewed the barb and drilled the threaded hole slightly smaller than 5/32", then stuck the hose it comes with right in the hole (I even had to notch the mounting boss for the top left allen for that tiny hose to pass without creasing), out the drain hole on the left of the neck, under the airbox, down to the bottom.

A PITA, but it solved the issue completely. It lets fumes out but is too small and too long for any significant fluid flow.

First ya don't know, then ya know....

Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast