Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Well.....Bye.

Pics or it didn’t happen! What color did you get?

34 Never did figure out the picture thing --I am pretty sure it happened as I have been riding around on it--not a dream.

Anyway, it is Black

Opto

Did you swap the Uly? Or both the Uly and EBR?

Yup, both gone—no regrets(yet)

Opto

Like this one?

Yes, 34,

That is the very bike. So far a good ride, although I have only done 50-60 miles. Some obvious needs--one being a bit of a windscreen and then have to sort out a luggage deal. The right side pipes get in the way of any saddle bags for sure as do the X Shocks.

Very spirited ride, handles really well and quite flicky around town. They say it will do 140mph but I doubt I will experience that. It seems quite comfy in the 60-80 range.

It is virtually a new bike although it is a 2012--going to need some new skins next Spring.

Take Care,

Opto

some interesting XR1200 tidbits, as per the factory guys....a few of whom still to this day, believe it was the greatest bike Harley-Davidson ever built. personally, it's at the top of my list.

TOTAL PRODUCTION INCLUDING SERIES EVENT UNITS---CERTIFYING UNITS: 10706
    ONLY 3587 WENT TO US DEALERS---6932 WERE EXPORT UNITS
    6580 ARE XR MODELS---4126 ARE XRX MODELS
    i don't have the unit numbers for production color break-downs but can probably get them.

your model as pictured has the Non-LA motor. my three all have LA motors.
    several nice choices available for a windscreen BUT keep it minimal. anything much larger than what i've installed typically induces both wild buffeting and alarming "head-shake" at speed.
    a simple muffler change in conjunction with either a V&H or Patriot tuning module, easily gets you to the 102HP mark and over 80ft-lbs or torque.
    consider swapping the stock 28T front belt pulley for a 29T. plenty of adjustability via both the belt and tensioner to do it.
    really calms down the motor "at speed" and just a more pleasant ride. CAN ONLY be done with locker tool and factory style pulley nut socket.
    only factory-issued luggage options ever available that i recall are:
    REAR TAIL RACK---#53920-08.....ORIGINAL LIST $119.90
    FACTORY TAIL RACK LUGGAGE BAG--90409-08.....ORIGINAL LIST $169.40
    there are factory side-mount soft bags but quite expensive and smallish in size. but top quality pieces.

here's my two black models. searched for almost a year for a mirage orange pearl model and just found a low-mileage creampuff and bought it. i'll get you a pic soon.

008.jpg
    001.jpg
    010.jpg

Thanks for the info, Barrett, More than that, thanks for steering me in the XR direction. Your windscreen is just right so I am hunting around for one.

I will keep the addons simple--just some room for a bit of kit and a sleeping bag. This is a whole new experience for me and I am quite enjoying it.

LA motor?

Opto

I realize I am hi-jacking this thread so this will be my last XR comments--Barrett--actually one of the areas about this XR that concerns me is the so-called security system and the "fob". The fob thing distresses me because it looks like at some point it will fail me. I understand (from H-D) that for $400 one can get that feature removed. I only require a key switch.

Thoughts on that? Also what is your windshield choice--it looks good.

Opto

Quote Originally Posted by optomist View Post
    I realize I am hi-jacking this thread so this will be my last XR comments--Barrett--actually one of the areas about this XR that concerns me is the so-called security system and the "fob". The fob thing distresses me because it looks like at some point it will fail me. I understand (from H-D) that for $400 one can get that feature removed. I only require a key switch.

Thoughts on that? Also what is your windshield choice--it looks good.

Opto
    Heres some thoughts. Take it for what its worth, as it is speculation.

On my 2016 Roadster, it came as a regular keyed setup and the keyed setup was not able to be converted to keyless.

I checked with Harley and while they could put a security system with a fob as a Harley accessory, it would still need the key.

I looked it up online and sure enough converting it to keyless would require a new wire harness, BCM and related accessories.

Since it was a bunch of hoops to jump through to go from keyed to keyless, you may have the same hurdles to go the other way.

Granted, my Roadster used CAN-BUS, and I'm not certain if your XR does. If so, I would imagine you are in the same boat as I. If not, it may be an easier conversion that imagined.

However, on my Roadster it had 2 separate cylinders for the steering lock and ignition key.

Also, if you can do this swap, you may want/need to buy two cylinders, so they key matches between the two.

***bear in mind, I have never owned a XR, so I am making assumptions that the XR is similar to my Roadster

Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast