Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New xb12r Owner/ Check Engine Light!

New xb12r Owner/ Check Engine Light!

First post to the forums! Happy to be here.
    I am the proud owner of a 2009 xb12r, and while I've only had it for three days, I love it. Unfortunately today while riding, the check engine light came on. But here's the thing, it didn't stay on. It came on for about 2 seconds then turned off. Throughout my 60 mile ride it came on and quickly went off again about 5 times. Also, last night, I noticed that while riding my headlights got dimmer slowly, then suddenly went to full "normal" brightness a couple times. From what I've read, I'm thinking it may have something to do with the ground connection, but you guys have a better idea I'm sure. Also important to note, is that the bike has a jardine exhaust, if that has anything to do with it. Bike runs perfect, starts up with no problems, and sounds amazing.

Thanks for the help!

You could read the codes to tell you why the CEL is on. Buellmods.com will have a manual for you to download to do it manually, but I would suggest going to Buelltooth.com to get a bluetooth dongle that will communicate with the bike wirelessly. On that site you can also find a free download of ECMDroid to manipulate the settings of the ECM, and do diagnostics.

The headlight dimming could be your fan turning on, but it's a good idea to check it.
    Put a voltmeter on the battery. You should have <12 volts.
    Crank it. Volts should not drop below 9.6V.
    Start it, volts should read 13.5-14.7 while revving at 2500rpm. It might take a few seconds to get there. Higher or lower is a problem.

Awesome! Just ordered a Bluetooth adapter, so we'll start when it gets here. Thanks for the response!

Banned
    Bad connections at battery leads.

Also, don't forget to take off all the ground connections to the frame and clean them and the frame area, no matter what they look like, then use some kind of anti corrosive on them and the battery terminals, I use roller chain spray.

Do a jumper wire on the diagnostic plug. More than likely the code is stored and you can get an idea of what's wrong.

Could be anything. Mine did that when my VR and stator went. Cleaning all your grounds is just a good idea even if it's not the issue.
    Last edited by Dellinger; 04-12-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by MTech14 View Post
    First post to the forums! Happy to be here.
    I am the proud owner of a 2009 xb12r, and while I've only had it for three days, I love it. Unfortunately today while riding, the check engine light came on. But here's the thing, it didn't stay on. It came on for about 2 seconds then turned off. Throughout my 60 mile ride it came on and quickly went off again about 5 times. Also, last night, I noticed that while riding my headlights got dimmer slowly, then suddenly went to full "normal" brightness a couple times. From what I've read, I'm thinking it may have something to do with the ground connection, but you guys have a better idea I'm sure. Also important to note, is that the bike has a jardine exhaust, if that has anything to do with it. Bike runs perfect, starts up with no problems, and sounds amazing.

Thanks for the help!
    you have a few things to check here and as TPEHAK said....that is the very first place to look. inconsistent voltage read by your ECM will always kick the CEL(check engine light) on and off.
    1-90% of the time an intermittent CEL will reveal either stored fault code #16 or for you particular model #21 if you're still running stock IEV exhaust system. beneath your airbox cover and atop your inner airbox lid is the IEV activation gizmo....the source of fault code #21 in most cases.
    2-remove seat....access your battery....thoroughly clean both the terminals and cable ends....reattach and tighten. these connections must be flawless.
    3-go to left front of bike....kneel down.....with flashlight look at both your lower triple clamp pinch bolt as well as the head-stock area. find your 4-wire ground cluster. remove the attachment hardware...check the terminals closely....clean all thoroughly...and reattach. common source of fluctuationg gauges as well as dimming headlights.

Found the problem, it had to do with a connection to the battery, thanks to everyone for helping me solve that. I've created another problem for myself though, while checking the wiring, I messed up the wiring to the fan, and now the fan does not run. I know where the problem is, and how to fix it, but will have to wait until the weekend because the rear shock will need to come off. Is the bike still safe to drive without the fan working? My commute to work does not require stop and go traffic, and mostly going 45-55 mph.

Banned
    Yes, the fan is important because it will cool down the engine after stop.

So that's a no-go to riding with the fan not working?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast