Thread: Aftermarket clutches

Aftermarket clutches

Guys please share your experience with aftermkt clutches. I will need a new one very soon to my Uly so Im digging all the info I can.
    By now I came across with Alto USA, Barnett and Drag Specialties clutch kits. DS sells the cheapest, around 75 USD and they're made from organic material which I believe should be similar to the OEM. Link here to the DS model: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332166589536

Besides that what else should I change when I open the primary for a new clutch? Are there other parts that wear out? Wouldnt like to put on a new set of clutch and leave old parts behind.

I typically use Barnett. They offer different materials for different applications. You didn't leave any info in how you use your bike, so check out their website for answers. I wouldn't but a set for price only, just looking for trouble there. You wanna do the job twice because of China?

You haven't given any info about the bike at all besides "Uly" so:

If it's heavy (lots of gear and boxes), used off-road a lot, abused, high mileage, etc, then when you buy the frictions, buy new steels, chain, and check the basket closely for cracks or wear. The cost will save you a bad day or a tow.

I have the clutch tool if you need it.
    The manual (Buellmods.com) has the R&R and check procedure layed out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I typically use Barnett. They offer different materials for different applications. You didn't leave any info in how you use your bike, so check out their website for answers. I wouldn't but a set for price only, just looking for trouble there. You wanna do the job twice because of China?

You haven't given any info about the bike at all besides "Uly" so:

If it's heavy (lots of gear and boxes), used off-road a lot, abused, high mileage, etc, then when you buy the frictions, buy new steels, chain, and check the basket closely for cracks or wear. The cost will save you a bad day or a tow.

I have the clutch tool if you need it.
    The manual (Buellmods.com) has the R&R and check procedure layed out very well.
    Cooter, hi. Thanks for the reply.

Well the bike itself is not heavy but I am LOL. I don´t do off-road at all, usually ride the bike in freeways and highways sometimes with my girlfriend together. I usually doesnt abuse it, no hard accel, just sometimes high speed (150-160kmh) on the highways.

I have purchased new steels and also new spring/diaphragm, I´m just waiting to decide about the frictions. I talked to a guy this weekend that gave me good feedback on the Drag Specialties organic frictions and I found them for very good price on the internet. Just waiting to decide if they´re reliable based on what you guys say here.

When you say new chain you mean the primary chain right? My bike has 40,000km on the clock, I´m replacing the clutch because the previous owner used it without proper adjustment. Do you think I´ll need a new chain anyway?

I appreciate your offering for the clutch tool, but I live quite far from you, I´m from Brazil.

Drag Specialties is a well known brand. You'll probably be ok, I have no experience with them exactly.
    Ya, Primary chain. It's not mandatory, but I would.

If you can't find the tool, I can mail it or even just sell it too you. No worries either way.