Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong heat range in 1 spark plug

Wrong heat range in 1 spark plug

Hi guys,

2 weeks ago I changed my plugs. And while I was at it put Iridium in them. So I bought 2x DCPR9EIX (so i thought). Went and put them in and drove them for about 800 - 1000 km (I drove a lot those weeks).

Today I removed my left scoop to prep for paint and thought lets see the electrode colour on these Iridiums (don't have experience with them). And what the #$%*, it wasn't a DCPR9EIX but a DCPR8EIX. Checked the boxes and they clearly said DCPR9EIX. Immediately checked the other one and this one was in fact the right one. Now my question is could this one wrong spark plug heat range have done any harm to my engine, because every sound of something strange I hear from my engine now seems to freak me out.

In the range of just before 4000 rpm it seems to have an off vibration (concidering these bikes vibrate quite a bit, I know it's a little off). Then again the engine runs fine for my idea and maybe it's just something between my ears.

Here's a helpful thread, guys to seem to run either plug... http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...-Iridium-plugs

When running NGK you have to make sure they are gapped correctly too.

My advice to you is to pick up the OEM plugs from your local Harley dealer. Eliminate all the guess work and run what Erik sold you the bike with: perfect gap, depth and heat range....
    Last edited by GregoXB; 04-11-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Inactive
    [COLOR="#B22222"]Now my question is could this one wrong spark plug heat range have done any harm to my engine?

NO. not within the 480-610 mile range that you estimated to have ridden. no harm done.

Most reports are that, those NGK 9's are the plugs to use, also that they perform better than the stock plugs. That being said I have no first hand experience with them but when I change my plugs, I will use the NGK 9's.

Having used both, there is Definitely no discernable difference in performance between the OEM plugs and the NGK. Frankly the OEM plugs misfire less IMO....

I cannot debate the point, as I have only read where most people seem to think just the opposite, you could be totally correct.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Having used both, there is Definitely no discernable difference in performance between the OEM plugs and the NGK. Frankly the OEM plugs misfire less IMO....
    other than your opinion greg....this would be based on what? seat of the pants feel? i can assure you it certainly isn't based on stored fault codes. codes 24 & 25 historically appear much more often with the OEM plugs than with NGK iridiums. that i know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    other than your opinion greg....this would be based on what? seat of the pants feel? i can assure you it certainly isn't based on stored fault codes. codes 24 & 25 historically appear much more often with the OEM plugs than with NGK iridiums. that i know for certain.
    Are you certain that is not just a coincidence lunaticfringe? Do we know what spark plugs the majority of Buells are using?

Are you certain that is not just a coincidence lunaticfringe? Do we know what spark plugs the majority of Buells are using?
    Im sure he means the Buells that have been through his possession. Im sure they usually come in with oem plugs which he replaces with the NGK 9's that he has recommended on multiple threads.

His may not use the scientific method in order to rule out all other possibilities as to which plug is best. But I think his method for determining which plug misfires less is more accurate than yours.

Pfew, thanks for the replies guys.. Thats what I wanted to hear, that it couldn't of harmed my engine.

When running NGK you have to make sure they are gapped correctly too.
    Pretty sure iridiums don't have to be gapped, correct me if I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast