Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tell me why someone would do this?

tell me why someone would do this?

DSC_0371.jpgDSC_0370.jpgDSC_0369.jpg
    i just broke the belt trying to do wheelies, aside from it being original belt with 7k miles, i was wondering what else could contribute to it, and remembered when i changed the tires, i had to put this back on, but wasnt sure how tight it should have been considering the notched out portion would allow it to pivot. so i looked in the manual to see about installation, and realized, there is no notch in the pictures and it spoke nothing of deflection. i looked up the part on ebay, not the first one was notched out. i pulled it off and further inspection revealed that somebody has altered it. why?

Inactive
    the notch is the result of some ham-fisted former idiot owner trying to mod it for less belt tension.the bracket is now junk. you need to perform the following or you'll continue to tear up expensive belts:
    1-buy a used complete idler pulley assembly online and use it for parts
    2-transfer your existing pulley onto the good used bracket you just purchased. do NOT modify the 2 bracket holes. you CAN do it....i have the method for lightly modifying them....but not recommended for novices. leave the 2 holes alone.
    3-view this link. it will show you the complete walk-thru for the transfer and for replacing the 2 idler bearings which i highly recommend...and includes the bearing numbers. both bearings identical.
    http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/artike...?cid=7&aid=292
    4-inspect the pulley surface. it is coated with a silica nitride hardening agent. use the pulley with the most pristine belt surface.
    5-assemble fresh idler pulley from your accrued parts and new bearings.
    6-install new belt. in conjunction i highly recommend replacing both rear wheel bearings. an easy job and the peace of mind well worth the few bucks spent. you'll have the wheel partially removed to do the belt replacement so a good time to do the bearings as well. if you've never done sealed motorcycle wheel bearings get assistance. very tricky the first time but a good learning experience.

ive already ordered a new assembly from ebay (well, not new, but unaltered), hopefully it arrives when the belt does. good call on the bearings, i will do that as well.

and btw, mine is an 03, march of 03, i ordered one for an 05, should i just use that pulley as well since it has the double bearings?

I have a couple of questions. You might have already mentioned it, but I'm to lazy to go through your post.

1) is your bike a 2003?
    2) are you running a 2003 pulleys and belt?

The reason I'm asking is the 2003 belt system is different then the 2004-2009
    If you bike is a 2003 and has the later 2004 and up belt and pulleys then the reason someone knotched the idle pulley arm is because they did not change the idle arm when they did the belt swap the angel of the arm is different.

Or if your bike is a 2004 and up they could have used a 90s sportster belt or tried to run a chain.

The reason I'm giving you this info is because if you have a 2003 belt system and bought a 2004 idle arm. it will not work and if you have a 2004 set up and bought a 2003 idle arm it will not work either.

There are also other reasons it could be knotched... There are a bunch of shade tree machaincs out there.

Good luck.

yes, its an 03 bike, the rear sprocket is 72teeth. i have no idea about the idler arm that is on it now, and as for the belt that was on it... i could never find it to count the teeth

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbuellie View Post
    I have a couple of questions. You might have already mentioned it, but I'm to lazy to go through your post.

1) is your bike a 2003?
    2) are you running a 2003 pulleys and belt?

The reason I'm asking is the 2003 belt system is different then the 2004-2009
    If you bike is a 2003 and has the later 2004 and up belt and pulleys then the reason someone knotched the idle pulley arm is because they did not change the idle arm when they did the belt swap the angel of the arm is different.

Or if your bike is a 2004 and up they could have used a 90s sportster belt or tried to run a chain.

The reason I'm giving you this info is because if you have a 2003 belt system and bought a 2004 idle arm. it will not work and if you have a 2004 set up and bought a 2003 idle arm it will not work either.

There are also other reasons it could be knotched... There are a bunch of shade tree machaincs out there.

Good luck.
    correct on all fronts alex and great info. i'm pretty decent with these bikes......horrible at reading minds. thread initiator's complete lack of year and model info precluded me from even considering getting into the "2003 only" scenario and its challenges.

i knew i was leaving something out originally (it's a lightning xb9s). anyways i'll follow up when i get it all back together, nothing irks me more than searching for a problem and finding where someone in the past has had the same problem, but fail to later tell the outcome or solution.

when getting another idler assy., how do i know its the correct one? i only see one on ebay listed for an 03, but the pictures show it has 6203 bearings in it, and from what i can gather, the 03 used a single 5203 bearing. dont tell me im going to have to buy new...

No problem, this fourm is difficult to navigate sometimes... used to be more user friendly.. but to answer your question the idle pulleys are the same if I remember correctly, just different colors for different models and years all had the same two bearing/spacer set up.

To answer some of your other questions here is the link to one of my old posts that talks about the differences

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...up-belt-system

If you find out you bought the wrong idle pulley arm. Hit me up, I know I have a few that I had powdercoated black a couple of years ago.... Pay for shipping and it's yours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast