Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual light mod-is the brightness per bulb reduced?

My $.02. If the bike is going to start hard, it will regardless of headlight configuration. These bikes are notorious for having a hard time getting past the first compression stroke - particularly as the battery ages. Some have changed starters to eliminate this, others like myself just hit the starter button again. Either way it's all good. Likewise with grounding issues. I think checking/cleaning grounds on these bikes is a pretty common maintenance task. Mine is an 08 with the headlight mod done right after I got it home brand new. 9 years later still no issues caused by the mod. The %#£$ing mice in the winter...that's another story.

I've done this mod to a couple XB's as well. I've even done it with a CR headlight on an XB. The mod is not going to hurt your electrical system in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    a standard H7 state of the art bulb on average draws approx. 3 amps....in that range. does NOT draw down either the battery or unduly stress the alternator/VR. this is assuming those components are in good working order.
    either swap wire ends in the headlight plug as per several threads on here.....warning....can be incredibly tempermental and tedious to do......OR...simply jump the yellow/orange wires. IMPORTANT: the jump MUST be done on the headlight bucket end of the harness plug. doing it on the harness end is catastrophic.
    Just to be clear. I'm golden if I follow this tutorial? You mentioned if I do the jump to do it on the headlight wiring side not the harness side. Is this just if I'm splicing the wires or should I pay attention to this when popping the wires out of the plug and swapping them? As in should I do only alter the plug on the headlight side and not the plug that's connected to the harness?

Quote Originally Posted by not1044 View Post
    I think checking/cleaning grounds on these bikes is a pretty common maintenance task.
    Where is this ground located for the headlight?

There's a ground screw on the frame right behind the headlight assembly with 4 wires going into an eye connector. Make sure the connector & frame are clean & most people recommend putting a star washer between the connector & frame. Remember your tightening into aluminum so don't be too heavy handed...

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Got it done in 20 minutes. Followed that tutorial I posted couple messages up. Looks great! Rode it into work today with both headlights on and the heated grips on and it didn't seem to phase it (in terms of load on the alternator).

'Phase it' Ha!

Get it? That's an electrical joke Son!

Oh boy haha. Cooter you're a hoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12