Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom of Clutch cable, coming out of primary, is oily...

Bottom of Clutch cable, coming out of primary, is oily...

deleted
    Last edited by cknapp; 05-18-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Inactive
    1-check primary fluid level to ascertain NOT over-filled. service and owners manual cover checking of same.
    2-primary end of clutch cable is a VERY DELICATE threaded barrel with an O-RING affixed to same. the O-ring is the source of your leak.
    after performing step #1 take a small open-end wrench and check that the cable is snug at the primary cover end. notice i said SNUG. many an XB owner has destroyed barrel threads, cables, broken off fittings, and other assorted carnage with ham-fisted work in this cable area. if these steps don't resolve the misting of oil from this area the cable will have to be removed and the O-ring replaced.
    i'll tell you right up front that completely removing the cable, cleaning and lubing, and replacing the o-ring is not only tedious and challenging for the novice....there is only ONE method of doing it correctly. failure to adhere to same yields nightmare results.

deleted

deleted

Wow. Lunatics up early today, I guess i'm not needed

Haha He's right again. Lube the o-ring and turn just snug enough to compress the o-ring slightly and No it won't rotate. I actually do it by hand.

deleted

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    Thanks Lunatic. I will check that out. If I go to remove the cable, I'll probably get my father's input and help with it. He's been tearing down harleys for many years. That said, I assume that this cable connection is the same as what's found on Sportsters? Is the process for Clutch cable replacement as shown in the service manual, accurate to your knowledge of the single correct way to do it? As always, appreciate your help.
    yes....in essence same as sportster. you and your dad will do just fine. allow me to recommend a few things here as clearly you'll have an extra pair of hands for this little project......your ulysses has accrued some miles and age....and my recommendation will improve the clutching/shifting experience:
    1-using the manual and your dad's sportster experience.....slide up gaitor exposing adjustment barrel.
    2-loosen the 9/16th inch locknut.....now turn the adjustment barrel several turns clockwise till tons of slop at the lever.
    3-remove entire cable assembly from lever and perch.
    4-remove derby(clutch inspection) cover.....3 torx.....and then remove tension spring and locking-nut exposing the clutch pack adjustment screw.
    5-NOW lube the cable...replace the primary end O-ring if required....clean and lube the adjustment barrel area..... lube the lever/perch assembly and eliminate any vertical slop between the perch and lever......reassemble all. NOTE: self-explanatory BUT if you find that you want to replace the primary end cable O-ring at this time you'll also need to remove the cable clamp at the front engine mount and slide cable down thru its fitting in the upper triple clamps.
    6-NOW do a full cable and clutch pack screw adjustment as per factory manual specs. if you do NOT know the procedure or confused with the manual ask and i shall walk you thru it.
    the above a relatively easy task that enhances both lever feel and shifting qualities.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-15-2017 at 08:41 AM.

deleted

Inactive
    My question: is this going to be okay ......yes.

deleted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast