Thread: Blast won't start (been doing research still no luck)

Blast won't start (been doing research still no luck)

Hi all,

New the forum, own a 03 XB9s and a Blast (for the wife) and I am having nothing but problems with the Blast this year.

Last year her bike ran fine (would almost stall once warmed up if throttle not applied) but we rode it all over town with no issues and this year its giving me lots of headaches!!

Battery was dead so I got a new one and it would start up and idle for a while eventually dying out. So far I have done:
    - new battery
    - replaced boot
    - new plug wire
    - tried 2-different plugs from my XB I replaced last year (gapped .040)
    - new gasket between the carb & airbox
    - seafoam in gas tank/spark plug hole/carb
    - messed around with the throttle screw
    - sprayed WD40 around the boot to check for leaks and the flange that attaches the boot to the engine (while bike was idling)
    - adjusted the primary chain using sound method (it was idling long enough for me to do this)

Now the bike won't even start & idle, so last night I drained all the fuel out of the tank and sprayed down the filter with Seafoam. Planning to get some 93 octane today and put the tank back on. Any other suggestions? I have the battery on a charger now because with all the cranking I have been doing its starting to kill the battery.

I HAVE NOT checked the timing yet.

Further info, the original spark plug I removed was black and the 1st replacement I removed also was black.

Have you tried cleaning out the idle circuit? The jets in the idle circuit have very small passages so its easy for them to get plugged up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordyahurdd View Post
    Now the bike won't even start & idle.
    Dont forget the air bleed from the front.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-24-2017 at 04:56 PM.

I had similar issues with my blast also. Replaced boot with Dans Super Boot and new plug. Ran fine for one day and started acting up again. Come to find out it was a simple fix yet took time to find. First thing...the boot was not one all the way..even though it seems to be. 2nd...the spark plug wire was lose on the plug...I just squeezed it together a little and fits snug now and no issues since then. Starts just fine and runs fine. Now if you stored it or had it sitting for some time with gas then a carb rebuild or just a good cleaning maybe in order.

Quote Originally Posted by ratmaz313 View Post
    I had similar issues with my blast also. Replaced boot with Dans Super Boot and new plug. Ran fine for one day and started acting up again. Come to find out it was a simple fix yet took time to find. First thing...the boot was not one all the way..even though it seems to be. 2nd...the spark plug wire was lose on the plug...I just squeezed it together a little and fits snug now and no issues since then. Starts just fine and runs fine. Now if you stored it or had it sitting for some time with gas then a carb rebuild or just a good cleaning maybe in order.
    I did exactly as you said yesterday (without reading this until today), and its running great now! Hopefully its the same after work lol

Glad to hear that. They are really fun to ride and the look is unlike most bike. The downside is finding afterparts that are not to make it look like a racer. I'm trying to go more of a bobber..ratrod....madmax style bike.