Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skid plates

Skid plates

Since the Touratech skid plates have been discontinued for quite some time and I doubt they're ever going to make them again, what's the interest in a batch run of them being custom made? I have access to a full machine shop with waterjets and whatever else I need to make them.

I can do them up either bare aluminum (1/8" thick plate) or possibly even powdercoated in black. Cost should be around $270.

A run of 10 or more would be preferred to offset design costs. I'll be posting this in multiple places to get some exposure.

http://deanadamsdesigns.com/cart.php...&product_id=21

Edit, updated price ($270 shipped in the US) and description. Powdercoated in gloss black only. Includes the oil filter guard.

skid plate.jpg

43951472_2196274837050369_18596602801291264_n.jpg
    Last edited by d_adams; 06-15-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added link, updated price

Sounds great, what did the originals look like ?

Banned
    I like the idea because of muffler on my BuellXB12Scg is very low and sometimes hits bumps and curbs, even small bumps. Maybe this skid plate can take some impact and protect the muffler. But before I can make a decision I would like to see pictures of this skid plate on motorcycle.

I also would like to see the front lower edge of the skid plate sloped up a little bit higher so the front lower edge will have less chances to dig into the bump and will have less chances to create significant destruction.

It also would be cool to see water jet cut Buell logo on side face.

I also would screw stainless steel plate on the bottom to the aluminum bottom so this steel plate will take impact and scratches.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-21-2017 at 03:45 PM.

So the rear clamp on the Tourtech took the place of the stock muffler rear clamp, or was that in addition to the stock rear clamp ?

I will not be putting the Buell logo on it.

The rear clamp should be in addition to the stock clamps, it's only there to hold the skid plate on to the muffler.

Inactive
    under $200 dean? a bargain at twice the price. knowing your workmanship should be a very nice piece.

Sorry I should have thought of all my ? and asked them in one reply,

I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is something holds the skid plate off or away from resting on the muffler ? This way if I hit something that would dent the muffler, the skid plate would absorb it to a certain extent.

Now if the above is accurate, how much ground clearance would be lost ?

Only reason I ask all these stupid questions is, I've never owned a bike with the muffler under the motor and tranny.

Banned
    By the way, it would be better to allocate the rear strap mounting spot under the jacking point of the muffler, and maybe have attaching spots at both jacking points. So it will be stronger, better muffler protection and you can use flat bottom of the skid plate to put it on motorcycle jack.

Here is a good example of the front lower lip, it is chamfered up pretty high.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-21-2017 at 09:18 PM.

I'm listening.... sounds great dean. Would suggest that the plate will mount/ cup the bottom of both stock and your mufflers... which should also make it fit my d&d quite well. @ that price I would be hard pressed to resist.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast