Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 08 xb12r Won't run, backfires through intake. Help please

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Silverriders Youtube link (while hilarious) is absolutely true.

Even after years of auto tech training, at my first real job I was lucky enough taught by the best diagnosis professional I have ever met. His technique is the same one I preach here, over and over and over again. It works. It will always work. It will always be the fastest and least expensive way to fix anything mechanical.

You can get lucky by bouncing around and might find the problem, but even the next problem you find... you will need to be lucky again to find it. You haven't learned a thing.

If you systematically start at one end and work your way diligently to the other end, you will always find the problem. And paraphrased from Robert Pirsig (God rest) 'If the answer to your question is indeterminate, you must broaden the scope of the question'.

Fuel, spark (timing), air. Thats what it needs to run. Pick a system, start at one end and go to the other end.
    Those items Cooter mentioned are the basics to a running engine.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 05-03-2017 at 11:53 PM.

I'd say we've all given some great contributions on how to get the OP on a path of getting his bike up and running.

Like lowkey mentioned, we probably need to sit back and see what he comes back with.

alright 1550 and thats my final offer! lol just kidding. lots of good actually helpful(unlike mine) posts here, hopefully you're headed towards a cure

Inactive
    retreat to your initiating post to commence this thread.
    "moving maps in and out" "tried diagnostics"....etc etc
    that right there scares me.
    this might fall on deaf ears but before you start ripping and tearing.....replacing parts....checking pressures....on and on....check your original work. clearly you were accessing your ecm which always raises red flags with me.
    i mention this as long-time board member lowkey, who is not only an excellent mechanic but has a significant background in computers and programming, had a similar recent situation that plagued him and stumped not only he but other board members. as i recall it was a "corrupt" ecm eeprom program.
    perhaps seek out assistance on here from the ecm gurus. i'm NOT one of them.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-04-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Here is a little advice, If you really don't know what you are doing then take the bike to someone that does before you destroy it. And I wouldn't listen to Lowkey!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    retreat to your initiating post to commence this thread.
    "moving maps in and out" "tried diagnostics"....etc etc

i mention this as long-time board member lowkey, who is not only an excellent mechanic but has a significant background in computers and programming, had a similar recent situation that plagued him and stumped not only he but other board members. as i recall it was a "corrupt" ecm eeprom program.
    perhaps seek out assistance on here from the ecm gurus. i'm NOT one of them.
    Good catch Lunatic! There are so many of these non-start threads going around right now I didn't catch that he was in the ECU. It is very likely the data connection was momentarily lost while pushing the new maps to the ECU (happened to me), all you need to do is flash your known good map in this case. I'm not familiar with changing maps with ECMDroid so no idea if there is verification of completion or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    Here is a little advice, If you really don't know what you are doing then take the bike to someone that does before you destroy it. And I wouldn't listen to Lowkey!
    Why?

Changing maps in ECMDroid may be over the owners skill level ? ( not to be rude at all) , Might be best at this time to pick up another one unaltered or have it reprogrammed by a experienced company/person. I am just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Changing maps in ECMDroid may be over the owners skill level ? ( not to be rude at all) , Might be best at this time to pick up another one unaltered or have it reprogrammed by a experienced company/person. I am just throwing it out there.
    The claim from users of ECMDroid is that the program is "fool proof" in that you can't flash an incompatible map to the ECU, that software only works through bluetooth and not a cable, a drop in connection would result in corrupt EEPROM. No harm in trying to flash back the complete known good EEPROM.

OP if you need an EEPROM for your bike PM me and I'll email it to you, I'm pretty sure I have the 08 EEPROM saved.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    The claim from users of ECMDroid is that the program is "fool proof" in that you can't flash an incompatible map to the ECU, that software only works through bluetooth and not a cable, a drop in connection would result in corrupt EEPROM. No harm in trying to flash back the complete known good EEPROM.

OP if you need an EEPROM for your bike PM me and I'll email it to you, I'm pretty sure I have the 08 EEPROM saved.

http://buellmods.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    I'm only seeing up to 07 EEPROM's there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast