Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bike swap

bike swap

Hello Buellers,

I have an 09 Ulysses XB12X in good shape that I would like to swap for an 09 Lightning XB12Ss (long) in Similar condition.

The Uly has 15,000 miles, SS Drummer exhaust and ECM, Madstad Screen and crappy tires (at the moment). Belt is in good shape and I have a spare. Full luggage, new starter and battery and misc do-dads.

I am in the Pacific NW.

Love the bike but it is too tall for me and I don't go off road much.

If you can't find a swap, it wouldn't be difficult to sell off the bags and swap components to turn the Uly into an SS, or even a hydrid. They share the same rails (though SS rails are drilled for passenger loops), frame, engine, swingarm, etc, so you'd just need to change the seat, undertail, and rear section to make it an SS tail, then decide if you want to swap suspension to lower it, peg mounts for footing (I wouldn't), fender, headlight modules and flyscreen, etc.

I agree with Phelan. You know the history of that Uly and the swap is pretty inexpensive, especially re-selling the parts that come off yours.

I'd change the suspension and seat first, since you don't like how tall it is. Replacing the rear shock, and front forks will drop it considerably and you can do it your self if you are handy. If you are really handy, you can cut the spacer inside the forks to lower it and save some $$.

Theres less options with a Ss seat than the regular ones, but you can get a lower saddle. Careful to check the ECM! Some had issues with the seat sitting on the plugs and causing ECM damage (I don't know which ones, I'm sure someone smarter than me will chime in...)

First, if you want a smaller bike I think you would be money ahead to sell the uly (which are bringing better money than they used to)and try to find any 1200 lightning which you could likely find cheaper than what you SHOULD get out of your uly.
    Now, if you like the uly but it's just too tall, lower it. There's the hyperpro kit (expensive) or find used uly XT or 12ss suspension and swap it out. All those options lower it just shy of 1 inch. Stt stuff will drop it about 3/4 (I run this shock on the rear of my uly.)
    And then buy a "low" seat, there are a few options. .. from harley if you can still get one and Corbin made one. The factory one is a bit hard, but there's not much room to lower it so some pad has to go. And make sure the little black block is bolted on where your ecm mounts to hold the seat off it.

Just realized you've got an 09. Which has 47mm forks, lightnings and early uly have 43mm sooooooooo you'd need compete suspension and triples to do the swap!

I actually just swapped my lightning to a scg....i have the forks, lower triple, swingarm, rear.shock, and.kickatand. pm me for pics etc.

Lightning suspension isn't the right spring rate or shock length. He would need Lightning Long forks and shocks.

Wow you all are a great bunch. Reading your responses has helped me clarify my thinking somewhat. One thing I decided was not to hack into the Uly. I think it has more value intact.

What I am after is a sort of Sports Tourer and thought the Ss would be a good platform to build on. I thought I could find a full fairing and set the bike up just so.

I do like the Uly so what to do? I think the best plan would be to simply buy an '09 XB12 Ss and set it up how I want. Then I could sell the Uly or keep it in my Garage for my friends to ride when they are in the NW.

So unless a good swap comes along I am looking for a nice clean Ss

Thanks for everything,

Optomist

IMG_2445.jpg

Or an STT

They are also on a "Long" frame and slightly lower than a Uly.

Not mine
    2007 Buell XB12STT Lightning $3800
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/5767589749.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast