Thread: Intermittent noise

Banned

Intermittent noise

My bike is a 2009 XB12Scg. It's got 18,XXX miles on it. I've had it for about six years now with no major issues. I always try to keep up with my engine oil and primary changes.

I see these threads a lot on the three wheeler forum I'm on, a more familiar area of mechanics for me. I know it's very difficult to explain this over the intranets, but I'm hoping there may be something common than the community might be familiar with and can point me in the right direction. I hope this turns out to be no big deal because I have big plans for this bike upcoming.

I was stopped at a red light today when both I and my friend who was next to me on his bike heard an intermittent noise from my bike at idle. It would come and go, on and off like a light switch. It sounds like kind of a rattle, so both of us thought it was a good chance the exhaust springs were the cause. It sounded like one of those rattling on the pipe. I was able to reach down and touch multiple parts of the bike in an attempt to quell the noise, but nothing I touched seemed to stop it. When I got home, I got off the bike and listened again. It did it once or twice briefly, but not long enough for me to try and track the noise. I shut the bike off to check the oil, which was down but only a little bit. I started the bike back up with a hose on the exhaust to quiet the exhaust note so I could listen to the engine. It didn't make the noise that time. I'm really hoping this thing doesn't need any major surgery right now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 04-29-2017 at 08:49 PM.

It sounds like you are thinking its in your pipe area, You might want to check out your exhaust actuator, take off your air box see if things look in order , It is supposed to "operate" in the mid rpm range. See what it is doing. just a place to start.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 04-29-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Banned
    Thank you. I might also add this bike is straight piped with none of the exhaust business intact.

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Thank you. I might also add this bike is straight piped with none of the exhaust business intact.
    Well, you can rule that out then ,LOL.

Start checking for loose bolts.

sure its below you? horn on flyscreen is the common one.

Banned
    Thanks! That would be great if it were that but it hasn't made the noise again yet. Here's to hoping!

I had a headlight plug that would do that at stop Iights.