Thread: EcmSpy help needed

EcmSpy help needed

I want to tune my 2007 XB12scg so I decided to go for EcmSpy. I bought a Windows 10 tablet to run it on and to use for data logging but my Windows experience is almost nil. Did the EcmSpy dance, paid my 50 Pounds and downloaded the installer and database about ten times each but I think I have only the "Demo" version because I can't do much with it. I can fetch the map, do a tps reset and test the fan (works good!) but nothing else. All the fields in Overview are blank, most of the status buttons are greyed out in Active Tests and although I can see and modify my fuel map I can't burn the changes.
    I'm obviously missing something-any suggestions pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated--I'm almost bald and cannot spare any more hair!
    Cheers.
    ~ross

There is an Advanced setting in the options, you may have to enable.

straight from the site:

Software Activation

The EcmSpy application consists of two parts: the software itself and a database, which holds the information how data is stored in an ECM's EEPROM. The database, which comes with the demo version of EcmSpy, does not permit to adjust EEPROM data read from a real ECM.
    To make full use of your EcmSpy application, you will need to activate a database specific for your motorcycle. This will allow EcmSpy to work with EEPROM data from a real ECM, either fetched from the ECM or read from a data file.

Your database will be bound to exactly one computer by a key file and will not be read on other computers. The key file is generated by the EcmSpy software.
    The activation of a database is fee-based, and the licence fee is dependent on the number of ECM types, that shall be supported by the software.

http://www.ecmspy.com/swreg.shtml

If all you want is a fuel map for a stock or lightly modified bike, why not just do ECMDroid (for free)? It is MUCH easier to use and includes safeguards against burning the wrong tune onto the wrong firmware version. You can also do wireless (Buelltooth) datalogging, diagnostics, active tests, TPS re-set, etc...

ECMSpy is great for building a real tune from scratch on the dyno you own for a bike you built with a turbo, nitrous, and custom crankshaft, but if all you have is a K&N and exhaust on an '07... those fuel maps have been made, tested, and are open source now. Get them for free at lots of places. I like Buelltooth.com but there are others as well.