Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Buell Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams of Steel View Post
    Beautiful bike! I will be sending Dean my ECM for tuning based on my mods and firmware version. I have a 9 but my ECM was updated to BUE2D and I haven't been able to find any eeproms for this configuration, so I am going to let the expert handle the tune. I am hoping I gain a little power but mostly I want a nice throaty sound and I really love the way a slash cut dual exhaust muffler looks.
    You will have a noticeable power gain, and yes very throaty for sure, it will sound like a bad ass HD.

Hi All,

Been out of the country so couldn't reply. My Buell is standard, so the new exhaust will be the first mod that I have done. Will I need to get the bike remapped if I was to fit a Dean Adams exhaust to it?

Thanks
    Cad

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by CadmannUK View Post
    Hi All,

Been out of the country so couldn't reply. My Buell is standard, so the new exhaust will be the first mod that I have done. Will I need to get the bike remapped if I was to fit a Dean Adams exhaust to it?

Thanks
    Cad
    I WOULD! you have a 984cc XB as i recall. i've owned 10 XB9 cityX's to date and installed an aftermarket muffler on every single one of them. and every single one suffered from both high cylinder head temps as well as sub-standard performance without a "tune". even a simple generic race map installed helped immensely.

Hey John, would that also apply for 08 and 09's. I thought I read somewhere that the ECU on 08 and 09 would adjust itself to an aftermarket exhaust. Would it still be a good idea to tune a late model?

You should still do a race map or tune the bike like John has stated or it will run hotter. All XB models ecm adjust but not enough to keep the temp down. So yes I would tune or race map. If you don't you might get pinging.
    Last edited by rchuff; 05-12-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
    Hey John, would that also apply for 08 and 09's. I thought I read somewhere that the ECU on 08 and 09 would adjust itself to an aftermarket exhaust. Would it still be a good idea to tune a late model?
    levan: we're delving into the ecm "black-ops" world which is all jibberish and quite foreign to me. the short answer to your question from an "ecm challenged" guy is this: the 08-10 models have an ecm with greater capacity....simplest way i can explain it. they do have somewhat of a learning curve and small ability to adjust to changes in exhaust and air filters. here's what i found with all the 08-10 buells i have owned: they ran fine stock. when i installed a buell race muffler or hawkins muffler and NOTHING else they were problematic. when i installed one of those mufflers along with a K&N air filter over the course of approx. 50 miles of easy riding they "learned" to a degree and ran fine. having said that all of them performed even a bit better and ran somewhat cooler head temps and less pop on decel, etc etc when i installed a generic race map that came with my ecmspy program. that's the simplest way i can explain it levan. now let's all sit back and enjoy yet another round of "shut your pie-hole john ya oldclueless bastard" responses.

I've never gone diving into ecm programming. But, I did just install a Drummer SS along with a matching ecm from IDS on my 09 XB12Ss. The bike already had a K&N filter. Like John describes, the first 10-20 minutes of riding felt a little worse than before the install...extra buzziness, didn't idle quite right, etc. But, after that all the problems disappeared and it runs far better than it ever has. So, there does seem to be a bit of learning going on by the ecm.

IMG_5342.JPG
    ya oldclueless bastard....

One thing I know I wont do is to tell john to shut his pie-hole, He probably has forgotten more then I will ever know!!!!

I like pie!

The easy answer is 'sort of'. Any ECM (stock fuel map or not) will try to adjust to the current configuration of the bike, that's it's job. While DDFI-3 ECM's ('08-up) will adjust faster and to a greater degree, it still isn't enough to compensate for the addition of aftermarket stuff and already being programmed lean to satisfy the EPA.

Even on a completely stock bike, If you add a 'race map' which gets rid of the EPA mandated restrictions you will see cooler temps, more power, and better drivability.

[U]Any[U] tune that is installed on your bike will need some time to adjust. Fuel mapping is only the base of what the ECM does. It needs to learn your bike, how and where you ride it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast