Thread: Buell heated grip question

Buell heated grip question

Bought heated grip kit, knew it'd need to be modded for my '06 XBSs. While I'm putting Firebolt handlebars and a full fairing kit on my Lightning, I thought I'd install heated grips and get myself some AUX power at the same time (direct to battery, relayed, fused blocked, etc...). Although, getting these things I find they have two power connectors: one male, one female. No wiring diagram, just instructions that are supposed to go across the entire Buell lineup after '07 (models all having AUX of one configuration or another).

Does anyone know if this kit has two connections only so that the grip will work across all models? (only one needs to be connected) Or, if they both need to be plugged to a powersource? The instructions would seem to show that some models both plug to both aux connectors, while others don't.

I can get my battery charger and wire it up for a bench test, although I didn't know if someone else had modded this and knows what's up. Below are some pics of the connectors (in grey) having a male/female connection from the www.

Last edited by ROOK; 05-07-2017 at 11:06 PM.

It has 2 connectors because the later models had an auxiliary port. The male connector would plug into the auxiliary port on the bikes harness and the female auxiliary port on the grip harness is now what you would use for other accessories. You only connect the male connector to power.

I'd say it was a cool mod to do but, it would really be just the opposite.
    What full fairing kit are you installing on the SS ? That is one thing I would really like to put on my SS, as I'm too old to get beat up by the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    I'd say it was a cool mod to do but, it would really be just the opposite.
    What do you mean? Power female instead of male?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    What full fairing kit are you installing on the SS ?
    Yoyodyne. It'll take a fair number of cutouts for the Ss, since it's made for the XB9R: exhaust, both air intakes, sliders, sheer width of the Ss? Still I'm stoked. It should be here at the end of next week. I went from stock, to café, back to stock, now to R front and I'm liking where it's going. I've got everything mocked up, just needing a few last minute pieces for the AUX setup (RadioShack closing for good? Damn it...) and figure out this grip wiring.

I'm ultimately going for this look:

I think I'll probably go matte black to start, but think about something red. The yellow does make everything pop: angle and line of the bottom fairing and seat rails, tail fender, etc, but probably a bit much to start. I really like what this guy did though and want something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    It has 2 connectors because the later models had an auxiliary port. The male connector would plug into the auxiliary port on the bikes harness and the female auxiliary port on the grip harness is now what you would use for other accessories. You only connect the male connector to power.
    Thanks!