Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fan after turnoff

Fan after turnoff

Just curious, how hot does the xb12r need to be for the fan to turn off AFTER you turn the bike off. I have a 09 buell, and shortly after riding, I can hear the fan running when I'm going faster than 15, and turning off when I come to a stop, but the fan has NEVER turned on after I've shut the bike off. Anything to worry about? No CEL or codes, and I know the fans running.

Thanks

It's the "speed based fan control" and I hate it.

You can turn that function off and find your specific temp on/off settings (and change them too) using tuning software like ECMDroid, ECMSpy, TunerPro, using a cable or Buelltooth (wireless) connection.

I agree. Seems a little backwards that the fan runs when the bikes getting hit with moving air, and turns off when the bike is idle and not getting airflow. But any idea why my fan never turns on after shutoff?

I'm with Cooter on this one.
    Makes no sense to have the fan ONLY running while the bike is moving and air is already cooling the engine. I think it's much more beneficial, for the engine, to have the fan run when the bike is static. Yeah, it's not the coolest sound in the world when you shut your bike down and the fan kicks on, but if you're worried about that... ...don't ride a bike that has the rear cylinder crammed into the rear of the frame in order to house the fuel in said frame.
    Anyway, I'm getting off topic. My bike is an 07 and I've never changed the fan logic. If my fan doesn't come on when I shut the bike down after a long ride I think something is wrong.
    BTW for anyone reading this, adding a RSS, from the comfort kit, while drastically reduce how often the fan kicks on.

So basically, if I drive 30 miles on the highway going 80 mph, and shut the bike off shortly after, and the fan doesn't come on, something is potentially wrong?

And if so, what setting am I looking for in ecmspy to make my fan turn on after turning the bike off?

Just let it do its thing.

No sir.
    You're fan/engine temp sensor is programmed differently.
    My bike is an 07, and since the first day I rode it I've understood the fan kicks on when the engine is at a specific temp. For me it's after the key is off. Sometimes, if it's really hot out and I'm really flogging the thing it will come on during the ride. Your bike is an 09 so the fan functions differently.
    Google search "buell xb fan function" or "buell xb fan programming" to get some more info.
    As Cooter stated, it seems your fan function is triggered by speed more than temp. But to be honest I'm no expert.
    So hopefully an ECM guru will chime in. Until then do some research, it can't hurt.

Alright, thanks everyone. The way I see it is, fan settings haven't been messed with, and it clearly works when riding the bike, so the bike must not be getting hot enough to require it to run when off. Either way, its working, so I'm not gonna worry about it. Thanks for the help as always!!!

That is incorrect, that is stock for 09. Buell/EBR changed to that fan logic in 09. I would turn off the speed based fan control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast