Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to buell

New to buell

Hey guys i have a couple questions. Im looking to trade my 2011 yz450f for an 2008 xb12r the bike has 7800 miles but also has a salvage title is there anything specific that i should look for when i go to look at20170318_081327_1494035893405.jpg
    Last edited by Jwall455; 05-07-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Good year, good mileage. The frame is considered "unrepairable" to insurance companies and is the likely cause for the salvage title, ask the owner why it is salvaged. Look for repair on the widest portion of the frame just in front of your knees for repair work or there may be pucks covering the repair.

Thanks i just up loaded a picture of the bike...it looks like there is a nic in the swing are is that something to be worried about

Stand behind the bike and line the tires up by sight while someone holds it upright and front wheel straight, does the rear wheel look like it will track straight on? If not rear could be bent. Swingarm and frame are aluminum so check all welds! Check rear swing arm mount pivot area just in front of rear shock for any signs damage/alignment issues. Hold front brake and try to rock the forks/front wheel for steering head bearing/seat damage. If owner allows, I'd pull the seat and airbox to inspect as well.

I see someone woke up on the right side of the bed today! Haha

Ya. Turns out when I answer the same questions over and over I get slightly snarky. Who knew!!

I shouldn't be that way, so I'm just gonna Google stuff for people for awhile without comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ya. Turns out when I answer the same questions over and over I get slightly snarky. Who knew!!

I shouldn't be that way, so I'm just gonna Google stuff for people for awhile without comment
    All good, happens to us all at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Stand behind the bike and line the tires up by sight while someone holds it upright and front wheel straight, does the rear wheel look like it will track straight on? If not rear could be bent. Swingarm and frame are aluminum so check all welds! Check rear swing arm mount pivot area just in front of rear shock for any signs damage/alignment issues. Hold front brake and try to rock the forks/front wheel for steering head bearing/seat damage. If owner allows, I'd pull the seat and airbox to inspect as well.
    Thanks for the info i checked out the buyers guide before i asked the question it is very informative. Im just unaware at what exactly to look at beside the normal stuff...sorry new to the street bike stuff..

Inactive
    Im just unaware at what exactly to look at beside the normal stuff...sorry new to the street bike stuff..

have mentioned this on here 100X or more....nobody else seems to grasp same:
    absolutely positively DO NOT MAKE THIS PURCHASE before checking with your state DMV if your intentions are to purchase, repair, title, insure, register and ride. check the title closely....ask questions of seller re. any insurance claims....THEN CHECK WITH YOUR DMV providing them the VIN to see if in fact it can be legally titled in your state.
    why? if salvage/wrecked/totalled/whatever....many states make it virtually impossible for that machine to ever be put back on their roadways again. your state may be one of them. doing what i recommend typically staves off a ton of possible future frustration and financial heartache.

Last edited by user_deleted; 05-07-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast