Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump won't prime...blown fuse?

Fuel pump won't prime...blown fuse?

2003 XB9R: I installed some new lights, and crossed a couple of wires. Blew a fuse in the right fuse box and replaced it, but the bike wont start. It cranks over like a beast, but theres no fuel. When I turn the key on, the pump isnt priming itself. Can someone send me a PHOTO of what fuse/relay runs the pump?? Thanks in advance! 1008161121_HDR.jpg

Inactive
    this is better than a pic...it's the generic schematic for your pump wiring. should be quite helpful.
    i don't know what wires you crossed BUT you need to check several things that are all tied into your "red run" switch.
    when you turn the ignition key on certain systems come to life. the fuel pump is NOT one of them. that is activated by the "red run" switch in right side switch gear housing. access your firebolt fuse boxes which are in fairing....locate your fuel pump fuse...and replace it. should be 10 amp. while you're in there considering the "crossed wire" episode i would also check all your other fuses. if the fuel pump fuse doesn't resolve this then you'll need to check both your key switch and ignition relays which are tied into the pump circuitry. if they are suspect merely replace. only $5 each and common chrysler and ford a/c relays available at any auto parts store. they are 20 amp. match up the pins.683749.jpg

Great info Lunatic. I'm sure your help is appreciated.

cbrklr: Look in the top of your fusebox lid.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-15-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Only problem with the schematic is that the file size is tiny, and when I blow it up I cant read any of the words.

For the record, I did replace one of the relays on the left side of the fairing, moved it from one place to the next, and it didnt help. While this was going on, something else seemed to happen as the light now dont work (high beam does, new LED's hooked to low beam which isnt working) and now the bike doesnt crank over anymore. No fuses on the right side fuse box are burned out.

I'm lost...

Inactive
    real crap shoot here diagnostics wise as you stated you "crossed some wires" which created a problem...and now you have new lights hooked up and lost your low beam? what you need to do is carefully check all your plugs and connections in your fairing area where you were working and pay particular attention to the harness plugs from each handlebar switchgear assembly. right switchgear contains the "red run" switch and left switchgear your high/low beam switch. if those switches aren't connected and/or working properly all else a moot point. you might also want to simply disassemble each switchgear housing and check for corrosion, moisture, bug dirt, etc etc. NOTE: simply switching relays typically doesn't resolve a problem. it just moves the problem to another circuit. pick up some spares as i noted earlier and replace if in doubt.

Here is a downloadable electrical diagnostic manual but is for 08 XB's, may help you, may not but good to have anyway. (last download on the list). Good luck!

http://buellmods.com/#TabbedContent

update is that I have replaced every relay and every fuse in the front fairing area...and my low beam still wont work, fuel pump still wont prime, and it wont turn over

I would pull out the multimeter and check to see where you are and aren't getting power. Depending on what you crossed you could've damaged the wiring harness. I highly doubt that's the case but the multimeter should help rule that out and also help trace down the point or points of the issue.

what you need to do is carefully check all your plugs and connections in your fairing area where you were working and pay particular attention to the harness plugs from each handlebar switchgear assembly. right switchgear contains the "red run" switch and left switchgear your high/low beam switch. if those switches aren't connected and/or working properly all else a moot point. you might also want to simply disassemble each switchgear housing and check for corrosion, moisture, bug dirt, etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast