Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well this really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'd do the grease trick on a lawnmower, tap a little, remove, clean, re-grease, tap a little more, remove, clean re-grease, etc.

IMHO on a motorcycle (one you like), it's worth the afternoon (3 beers) to rotate and pull the heads, I'd insert both heads. It's not that hard to rotate and the easy access guarantees you'll tap it square. Besides, you need lifters anyway/ rocker gaskets/ etc. How are the jug gaskets on a bike with 50k on it? Lots of might-as-wells while your in there.
    Exactly why I want to pull the motor and check everything out. She does 80km a day, 80% of that at 140kmph( 4500 - 5000 rpm), so its
    not being used to knock around the suburbs on weekends.

And as long as your pulling all that, it is an easy thing to install a big bore 1275cc kit, now you have a new bore and pistons in the mix too. And you could just have them fix the plug holes while your getting the heads ported then you have an entire new top end. As long as your pulling it apart why not go all in?

Just to close the loop on this.
    I did pull the top and and jugs off front and rear, nothing wrong with bores, rings or crank.
    Had timeserts installed in both heads. Waited for months for a top end gasket set.
    I also pulled apart, cleaned and re-assembled the lifters
    Last weekend I put it all together and started her up, Runs like the good old
    days again. I still need to do a TPS reset, but even after 100 odd miles she seems
    fine.
    2 Issues outstanding, none relating to the failure:

1. The fan seems to run more than it did in the past.
    2 The clutch still drags. This was expected as I never did anything to it. This will
    be my next job in about 2 weeks time.

very happy to have my commuter up and running again. The 1150GSA just
    isnt the right tool for that job.

Cheers and thanks to Chicknstripn for the offline advise and support.

Wow

Well done!!!

Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12