Thread: Odometer milage genuine

Odometer milage genuine

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum (this is actually my first post) but I've gotten a ton of information from it over the last few weeks. I'm buying my first motorcycle ever, and after exhaustive research, decided on a Buell Blast! I plan to purchase one soon, most likely from Craigslist. I have a question that I'm hoping the community could help with. How do I know if the mileage on the odometer is genuine? I've seen some blasts, even ones from as far back as 2001 that have less than 4,000 miles on them. A few have been modified, and the odometer could have been swapped along with other parts. Is there anyway that I can be sure that the Blast that says 4,523 miles doesn't actually have 45,230 miles?
    Thanks so much!

Inactive
    sure. below applies to all vehicles...not only the buell you're considering. as follows:
    1-look at the title. should have a code or actual # on same that reflects "actual mileage when title issued".
    2-registration paperwork. not all but many states display vehicle mileage on registration document each time that registration is renewed. most states that require annual veh. inspections also have mileage written on the actual inspection sticker.
    3- ownership history. who owned it before the seller? that person should be more than happy to verify the mileage.
    4-visual inspection by an expert. by viewing not only the bike but the documents pertinent to same....someone like myself can determine whether a motorcycle has 4500 or 45,000 miles on it. you cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    sure. below applies to all vehicles...not only the buell you're considering. as follows:
    1-look at the title. should have a code or actual # on same that reflects "actual mileage when title issued".
    2-registration paperwork. not all but many states display vehicle mileage on registration document each time that registration is renewed. most states that require annual veh. inspections also have mileage written on the actual inspection sticker.
    3- ownership history. who owned it before the seller? that person should be more than happy to verify the mileage.
    4-visual inspection by an expert. by viewing not only the bike but the documents pertinent to same....someone like myself can determine whether a motorcycle has 4500 or 45,000 miles on it. you cannot.
    Thank you, great answer! Aside from the mild insult at the end.

Inactive
    did NOT mean to insult you in any way, shape or form....absolutely not my style...but i can see where you would find it so. expounding on same what i mean by that comment is that some on here would chime in that a highly detailed high mileage bike with fresh perishables could in reality quite possibly pass for a very low mileage bike. have seen that scam pulled many times in my 50 years of buying and selling. an expert such as myself who knows what questions to ask....what documents to examine...what nuances on a particular bike show high mileage and cannot be hidden...can pretty easily and quickly determine a high mileage machine posing as quasi-factory fresh piece. does not make me a wizard or better than anybody else....i'm certainly not...but it is a skill set that i doubted you possessed. apologies if i came off otherwise.

Sorry, I must have some sort of syndrome. Most forums are full of people who are surprisingly aggressive to people who are looking to be part of an community. I'm looking at the bike in a few days, I'll keep an eye out for what you mentioned and ask the owner an annoying amount of questions. Supposedly he has done the work on it himself, so he should be able to tell me where things are (and if he can't, then that's a sign that something isn't quite right.) I'm very excited about the getting the blast. It seem like (almost) the perfect bike to start with and grown into.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbert View Post
    Sorry, I must have some sort of syndrome. Most forums are full of people who are surprisingly aggressive to people who are looking to be part of an community. I'm looking at the bike in a few days, I'll keep an eye out for what you mentioned and ask the owner an annoying amount of questions. Supposedly he has done the work on it himself, so he should be able to tell me where things are (and if he can't, then that's a sign that something isn't quite right.) I'm very excited about the getting the blast. It seem like (almost) the perfect bike to start with and grown into.
    the blast is a fine starter bike and hoping you make the purchase if it's up to snuff. they are plentiful and cheap so if it's suspect in any way...just find another. CL and ebay aplenty. also a board member named jetlee is a master with blasts and can answer any questions you might have. i've never owned one as i'm an XB/1190 guy....but they're fine bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbert View Post
    The trick is to ask the "right questions".

Lunaticfringe is like that shot of good whiskey. Not for everyone.... just good, honest, and straight to the point.