Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about an 1125R

Thinking about an 1125R

Found an 1125R for sale, not a bad price. Less than 8k miles.
    Never owned a crotch rocket before. Not sure why I want one now, other than the fact that I've always thought it would be cool to have a Buell. I've got 2 choppers, and live in the Great Plains, meaning there's not much in the way of twisty roads around here.
    As far as insurance, it looks like about a buck a day, which is what I'm paying now on the other 2 bikes.

Any thoughts on the tentative purchase? Pros or cons on the bike?

What year? Main things to ask. If it's 09+ does it have the oil cooling stator. Has it had a aftermarket hydraulic clutch fitted yet? All years eventually start weeping fluid you'll notice discoloration or a wet spot on the right side clutch cover.

Other than that they are awesome bikes I have two and love them both.

The 09+ had an issue with overheating the charging stator the dealer fix was to fit a harness that basically lessened charging to keep the system cool there's been several reports of issues with that causing low voltage in traffic conditions. The aftermarket fix is a rotor that has a oiling hole using engine oil to cool the stator. The fix isn't hard I've done it on my 09 so feel free to reach out if you have to do this.
    Last edited by Cosworth; 05-22-2017 at 06:05 PM.

My bad, it's an '08.
    I believe the clutch is stock, although I can't say for sure. Seller does claim all recalls and TSBs have been performed by a dealer.
    Last edited by Sarge1400; 05-22-2017 at 06:48 PM.

08 had a different charging system which wasn't known to have issues. The only dealer TSB's that addressed it to my knowledge just replaced o-rings etc which fail eventually too.

Some places say the 08 clutch doesn't weep either but mine did. The replacement is readily available $109 from http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store...inder-kit.html

Cool, thanks for the link. I'll ask the seller about the clutch when I go look at the bike Saturday.

No problem good luck!

If you do wind up with it post it up!

Will do!

Really wish I hadn't seen the big bore kit on that link you gave me, lol.

Ok, I rode the 1125R yesterday. Great bike. The only thing I didn't care for was how far back I had to lift my head to see the road in front of me.
    Every review I've read says how great the ergos are on this bike, but it's such a departure from what I'm used to that I'm afraid I wouldn't get accustomed to it, and the bike would end up not getting ridden.
    Seller's price is ok, but not low enough to ensure a profit, or breaking even, on a flip. I've got until tomorrow to decide, not sure what to do at this point.

Maybe check out an 1125CR with the high bar kit?

I've heard this will fit an 1125R.

CR all the way.
    I don't know how big you are, I'm 5' 15" and the high bars on a CR are perfect. I think with no corners around you'll tire of either one quickly. Is there a track nearby?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast