Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't connect ECMspy while running (transmission timed out)

that's interesting that ECMdroid disconnects when you start it. I measured the voltage with just the ignition on vs running. The 12V line follows battery voltage. I measure voltage from battery ground to the ground on the connector, and it remained very low ( a few mv) in both conditions. I have had other ground issues in the past with my bike so I ran an extra temporary wire from the battery ground to the ground on the connector, and this didn't change the behavior.

Is there any chance that there's something wrong with my connector or the fact that I'm using windows 10?
    Last edited by norwich; 06-20-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Ya my ECMDroid disconnects, but i just hit the connect button again while its running and no problems. I don't even know if that's normal but all my bikes seem to do it that way.

You're on your own with windows 10, but I'd assume the connector is good if everything works with the engine off. Sorry man, wish I was more help.

so I made a bluetooth dongle and tried out ECMDroid. Unfortunately it works just like ECMspy. I am able to connect with ignition on and engine not running, but once started it disconnects and cannot reconnect.

Does anyone know if there is a chance that there is an issue with my ECM? I read something about updating firmware??

My bike is an 04 xb12s, and the ECM Info is as follows:

EEPROM Size: 1202
    EEPROM Pages: 7
    ECM Type: DDFI2
    ECM Serial Number: 127
    ECM Mfg Date: 10/5/06
    Layout Rev: N/A
    Country ID: 106
    Calibration: N/A

Is it weird that the manufacturing date is in 06 when the bike is an 04?

I had the same problem while using a bluetooth dongle-it would disconnect if I started the bike and would not connect with the bike running. I suspect your cable is the problem. I built my own cable following the instructions on ECMSPY website under "EcmSpy Cable for PC/Laptop". I bought the FTDI cable from Digi-Key online for 30 bucks and sourced the Deutsch plug locally for 5 more. The instructions are clear and it was easy peasy to solder up the plug (I don't have the correct crimper but soldering works just as well). It worked like a charm! Digi-Key probaby has the Deutsch plug parts too and they were super fast. Mouser Electronics might be another source.

my opinion is that now that I've tried it with 2 completely independent cables, software, operating systems, that the problem is not related to my setup.

So take the engine running out of the equation for a sec.

With the ignition (and run switch) on, will it let you disconnect and re-connect easily?

Or conversely, have the bike running before you try to connect the first time.

I have tried both of those ideas. it works as it should in both cases.

Then just do that?

Sorry, I misread your post...
    with the ignition on , switch on, bike not running, it can connect, disconnect, reconnect easily
    If the bike is running before I try to connect it doesn't work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12