Thread: New buell XB12s owner. Tips or pointers needed

New buell XB12s owner. Tips or pointers needed

Hey guys I'm Dillon I'm 23 and I just bought a 2008 XB12S!!! I love the thing. I paid $4200 for it and it's got 20k miles. I quickly realized after I took a 2 hour ride home on it then took a spin on my friends Kawasaki that was definitely way easier to ride on, that my bike wasn't a beginners bike. I rode dirt bikes as a kid for about 5 years before they got stolen out of my garage. This is my first bike and I want to join the community here and would appreciate some tips, pointers or anything to help me get started as I want to be as safe as possible since I'm riding in the heart of Los Angeles. Thanks!

G'day Dillon, the XB's are a great bike but not very commute friendly. More designed for the open twisty roads and not stop start city driving in my opinion. I believe that you can change to the XB9 gearing fairly simply to make it more civilised at lower speeds. May be something to look into anyway.
    Cheers, Kev.

Thank you! It's not a daily rider and I have some canyon rides I'll be taking it on but I will look into it.

Welcome to BuellXB. I ride my XB12r and 1125 almost everyday in the traffic of Las Vegas and absolutely love it. It was a little rough at first but you definitely get used to it. If you don't have them already invest in these or some like it. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...htning-ulysses
    It will help you hold yourself up with your legs and not your arms making traffic much easier. My biggest complaint about the Buell when I first started to commute everyday was the heavy clutch compared to other bikes. After a few months I don't think I noticed much anymore. Also if you don't have one of these for summer it is also a must have. https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...aterproof-vest
    If I have any advice for city riding it's ATGATT and ride as much as possible. Be safe and have fun.

I'm in El Segundo and ride Angeles Crest or north in the mountains (Mulholland, Topanga, Los Virgines) almost every weekend. Lets Buell it up!

Thanks I appreciate it!

Wow small world i live in el segundo too! Let's definitely ride sometime! I work a lot so I'm usually only free to ride Sunday afternoons.