Thread: gone through a few front muffler clamps on my 2009 XB9SX

gone through a few front muffler clamps on my 2009 XB9SX

I have had a few exhaust issues in the past, and all of that is behind me now (I hope) BUT, I keep going through front muffler clamps.
    I know heat and cooling can cause issues with expanding, and so when my last one snapped, I altered it and bought some exhaust mounting springs used for motocross, and used two of them to attach each side of the broken metal strap. I figured it would be strong enought to hold it in place, yet still have some give for heat and cooling. It broke too...

My next attempt is to use an unaltered clamp, and back off of the tightening a bit. I am hesitant because when I rode without this clamp before, it caused major issues with the headers. I don't want to replace the headers again...

Any suggestions on any tricks to getting this part to work properly?

There is a very specific tightening procedure for the exhaust. Its in the service manual. You can get the download for free at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com.

Have you replaced the aluminum bushings on the front muffler mount that goes on the engine case? Part number S0136.02A8.

I have not replaced the aluminum bushings, but I have looked them over, and they look perfect to me.

I am aware of the specific exhaust procedure from headers down, due to replacing a set of cracked headers last year. It took me a few tries, and a lot of research, but I know how to do it now. I followed all the correct steps, and order of operations, as not to put stress on the headers themselves, and secure the muffler in place, but I still have issues with that front strap. The only variable I can come up with is the incorrect amount of torque. My torque wrench works with sockets, and those straps have a bolt that extends well past what a socket can reach, so I need to use a standard hand wrench to finish tightening. I may have over tightened, which wouldn't leave room for expanding and contracting with heat and cooling, and that may have led to the part failure. this is the third time it has happened though, and when I purchased the bike, the strap was not in place at all, so I believe it was an issue for the previous owner as well. It just seems strange.

Whats the torque spec you are using for the front strap?

I have not yet used any torque specs on that nut, because I have no tool that would allow me to do so. SO... I just tightened until I felt there was no issue with the nut loosening by itself and falling off. I admit, I probably tend to over tighten most of the time, but I am working on that
    This time I will find a way to use proper torque specs from the service manual, and see how it goes.
    The manual I have downloaded, says "108-120 in-lbs., then back off fastener two full turns, and re tighten to 108-120 in-lbs"

Front exhaust mount breaking over and over usually indicates a problem with your front exhaust mount bushings. What usually becomes an issue is an ovaling of the hole in the engine case that the bushings go into. Check for free play and if there is free play, you will need to figure out a way to fix it because over time, that will result in the need to replace the case once the ovaling gets too bad. Jacob at Moto Enthusiasts has been looking at fixes for the issue and testing on my bike, but we have yet to determine the best way to fix this issue.

SO..... assuming the bushings are not the issue, and the problem is the ovaling of the hole where the bushings sit (which is part of the engine case), there would be no easy fix, correct? besides looking for an aftermarket exhaust that is not dependent on the front mount bushings being perfect.
    I hope that is not the issue in my case! I can't fathom replacing so much for such a simple issue.
    I know the muffler it self is a bit heavy, and I have seen other aftermarket options (though not many) that I assume are lighter. I have not heard them talked about too much, so I figured they were not great. any suggestions for another exhaust to help remedy this issue IF it turns out to be the engine case as the cause?

any comments on these? it looks like it uses the engine mount, but probably won't need too much special or precise linkage.
    http://www.danddexhaust.com/content/...xb12r-xb12x-ss
    Last edited by JonDredd; 05-31-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Jacob at Moto Enthusiasts is testing a fix on my bike currently. We just don't have enough mileage to see how it is holding up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDredd View Post
    SO..... assuming the bushings are not the issue, and the problem is the ovaling of the hole where the bushings sit (which is part of the engine case), there would be no easy fix, correct? besides looking for an aftermarket exhaust that is not dependent on the front mount bushings being perfect.
    I hope that is not the issue in my case! I can't fathom replacing so much for such a simple issue.
    I know the muffler it self is a bit heavy, and I have seen other aftermarket options (though not many) that I assume are lighter. I have not heard them talked about too much, so I figured they were not great. any suggestions for another exhaust to help remedy this issue IF it turns out to be the engine case as the cause?

any comments on these? it looks like it uses the engine mount, but probably won't need too much special or precise linkage.
    http://www.danddexhaust.com/content/...xb12r-xb12x-ss

update...
    I went to remove the front exhaust mount and bushings to prepare for the new front strap when it comes in... and the bolt holding the mount and bushings in place will not come off. I think the nut and bolt threads stripped and locked. its bad. I cannot remove the bolt. In the past, I could loosen it by hand after a quick turn with a wrench. Now, the nut no longer sits in the recessed area, but it does not extend out enough for me to use a socket either. I'm not sure what to do next....

update 2....
    after some trials and cursing, I did get the bolt off by gripping the nut with strong vice grips, and slowly backing it out. The nut and bolt are ruined, but probably easily replaced.
    On to the bushings...
    they don't look so bad once I cleaned them. just a bit beat up on the outsides, so I will probably replace them. The hole where the bushings sit looks in great shape to me, with no obvious signs of wear. The bushings sit tight in the circle with no real play to speak of, so I may be lucky here.

Last edited by JonDredd; 06-01-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: another update....