Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swing-arm sprung, axle will not grab threads

Swing-arm sprung, axle will not grab threads

Long story short, first tire change after strange tire wear on new to me '06 Ulysses, corroded axle pulled the crushed/shot drive side bearing out of wheel and stretched apart swing arm instead of clean removal (yes, pinch bolt was loose). Now when trying to reinstall the axle will not grab the threads even after ratchet strap through wheel around the swing arm sides torqued in a bit.
    What can I do to remedy this situation, is a new swing arm in order? Any assistance would be great, thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you try running it through the other side? It may be as simple as some buggered up threads in the swingarm that may not be allowing the axle threads to catch. Use lots of grease and go slow.

Good thought 3419 , in addition to what 3419 has said, try using another strap going over the axle end applying inward pressure to the axle, and using a vise grip in the center of the axle to rotate clockwise to get the threads started.If it is truly sprung you need to spring it back in aliment with a 10ft pry bar that would fit ID axle hole not to mess it up. If all fails yes another swing arm is in store.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 05-28-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Are you the guy that just had a rear tire put on, and needed fuel pump parts. On sat. If so I was the one that did your tire, where are you located

I am the one you saw Saturday, I'm South of the River in Ashland City.
    I tried threading from the other side and the threads aren't buggered. I'd hate to do the 10' bar route, but if there is a chance it will work, I'd try. I'm thinking the ratchet again without the wheel just for possibly the axle will grab and I can torque it back closer to spec.
    Any good ideas ztied?

Can you see that the axle does not line up to the threads ? If so? Try to by pry it in the opposite direction a little at a time, so you can see progress if any, If you force it in with out the wheel, Its is one thing but it must line up with the wheel in place.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 05-29-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Cool,I would maybe wait on the wheel till you get the fuel pump in. And are you making sure the lip off the axle isnt catching on the swing arm holding it from going in

Thats what I was thinking ^^^^^^^

My fuel pump is fixed up and slid in smooth, the constant running has quit, as long as the new orings didn't pinch that's covered, I'll see when I gas up again. The axle lip did catch my attention and I'm still not sure if I made it past that point, there was very little clearance, that may be the problem compounded with the sprung/misalignment, I'll check again or maybe give it a gentle whack.

Looked at and tried all of the above, the lip clears the swing arm and the strap torqued over the axle seemed a no go as well. Just in case, if anyone can source a used swing arm on the cheap, I may be able to swing that expense by Friday if worse comes to worse.
    Y'all 's assistance is greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast