Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off idle stumble

Off idle stumble

My bike picked up a off-idle stumble. If I just rev it normally, its fine. But if I'm sitting at idle, and blip the throttle, it hesistates a second then revs, sometimes a little hiccup as well. Also, when it returns back to idle, it seems like it wants to almost die, as the revs drop too low and then "catches" itself and resumes regular idle speed (1050-1100)

It runs fine throughout the rest of the rev range. No CEL or stored codes.

This weekend I'll check intake seals, as that is a point where vacuum is high and it may be pulling air around the seals at high vacuum and not at lower vacuum levels (aka on the throttle). Plus, I'm willing to bet those seals are the originals. Those $5 seals should last a lifetime (and the bike is "only" 11 years old), right?

I'm also suspect of the O2 sensor, as I've had that cause similar symptoms on various cars I've owned in the past. However the stumble also occurs when the engine is cold, and I dont think the O2 sensor is in play at that point. Seems like I can replace the O2 sensor if I pull the fan and rear shock.

I am also considering its just a driveability issue maybe due to the lean stock map and the Drummer SS/K&N filter. Thats my last resort, though. Wheres Lowkey?

Anyone else think of something I'm missing?

You need a map for sure. Even if it's not the problem.

Do you have a cable or Buelltooth thing? I can walk you through the steps.

I have a dongle and ECM Droid.

Lunaticfringe told me a race map was good for about 90 (free) hp. Can I get 2 race maps and up that to 150hp? Please!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I have a dongle and ECM Droid.

Lunaticfringe told me a race map was good for about 90 (free) hp. Can I get 2 race maps and up that to 150hp? Please!
    LOL----i see you aaron.
    having owned approx. 25 XB's to date i've never had one yet that liked to be "blipped" like that. they all reacted to it in the precise manner you described.
    NOTE: the ecm if tuned properly will afford you an additional approx. 90HP at the rear wheel but that's on AV-GAS with 2 ounces of weed-wacker 2-stroke oil per gallon of fuel mixed in.

You know, honestly, I've been following the weed wacker 2 stroke oil thing. I'd say there is some merit to it. Even if its just placebo, I think having a little extra upper cylinder lubrication can't hurt. My XB didnt sound any smoother or quieter but the Harley did.

On another note, maybe if I convert the XB to 2 stroke, I will probably see a difference. I will PM you on this Lunatic for your expertise.

This guy is on the right path, I thinks....

2stroke.jpg
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-02-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    AV-GAS
    AV-GAS? Maybe some JP-2?

Inactive
    On another note, maybe if I convert the XB to 2 stroke, I will probably see a difference. I will PM you on this Lunatic for your expertise.

simpler than you think with a buell. here's the steps:
    1-remove the valves....2 per cylinder.
    2-install auxilary coil. have it fire when each cylinder reaches TDC on what was formerly the exhaust stroke.
    3-mix 2.5 ounces of either Blenzall or Castor Bean-Oil with each gallon of premium gasoline.
    4-you now have a 2-stroke. job done!

Wouldn't a TPS reset work as well? I really don't want to rotate the motor for the conversion. Should I also remove the cams to prevent unnecessary frictional losses?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    LOL----i see you aaron.
    having owned approx. 25 XB's to date i've never had one yet that liked to be "blipped" like that. they all reacted to it in the precise manner you described.
    NOTE: the ecm if tuned properly will afford you an additional approx. 90HP at the rear wheel but that's on AV-GAS with 2 ounces of weed-wacker 2-stroke oil per gallon of fuel mixed in.
    Here we go with the 2 stroke oil. Anyone see old Gloomy around? John you really crack me up! Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Wheres Lowkey?
    I'm still in Bullhead City remember? These are jabs...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast