Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ECM Droid gurus...a couple of quick questions

ECM Droid gurus...a couple of quick questions

For you experts....I think I did this correctly, but I want to check to be sure (did a lot of reading here first).

The bike - 2009 XB12R...Drummer exhaust/Airbox delete/race ECM

I wanted to follow the advice here and disable the low speed fan cutoff.

I did just that (clear the checkbox) using the buelltooth dongle and the ECM Droid app on the phone. I then selected the options to allow me to upload that change (and only burn changed pages) - then updated the ECM. I shut everything down, fired up everything again, and reconnected with the app. Box is cleared.

So the questions - when 'burning' the change to the ECM, I got a box saying "exhaust is broken" on the app. No trouble codes...none stored, none thrown.

I'm assuming this is because of the Drummer exhaust and the lack of the IAV interface with the exhaust - is that correct?

If so, I saw some IAV options in my ECM program - do I need to check those and clear all those boxes as well?

Thanks for the help.

Jay

Hi Jay,
    I was getting that "Broken Pipe" message too until I figured out that you have to disconnect the tablet after each use else the next time you will get the "Broken Pipe" message. Seems it has nothing to do with the pipe!
    Hope that helps, I don't remember the actual steps I took and I don't have an Android device any more but I'm sure if you dick around with disconnecting it each time you'll figure it out...
    Cheers.
    ~ross

I that what you mean? "Broken pipe"? Because it has nothing to do with the exhaust, Lol.

The "pipe" it's referring to is the communication pipe between the bike and the tablet. Once you turn off the bike the dongle loses power and you'll get a "broken pipe" message until you re-connect. Simply hit the green button (lower right) and then hit it again to reconnect. If you get that message when burning the ECM, the ECM didn't take the burn so you need to re-connect and do it again.

By "low speed fan cut off" do you mean speed based fan control? ECM parameters/general/limits/fan/uncheck 'speed based fan control'.

If your Drummer doesn't have the IEV, simply checking the "disable IEV" will stop the code 21 from showing up.

You can burn the whole .xpr file an unlimited amount of times and it doesn't take more that 10 seconds, so I don't bother just burning the changes, I burn the whole thing. YMMV.

Okay, Cooter - that helps.

Yes - those are the messages (the wording)...

I'll try that right now and report back....

Okay - still have some questions.

First - the speed based fan control item is taken care of (it's unchecked with a successful burn).

I cannot find "disable IEV" anywhere in the app. All I can find is a page with items like "exhaust valve enabled", "on at WOT", "off at ____", etc. Is that the spot? What should be checked or unchecked on that page? Note that this is a Drummer exhaust (no IEV interface).

Thanks in advance. One note - it might be helpful for those of us who really don't want to delve too deep (i.e. I'm not interested in 'tuning' anything manually with regard to AFV values) to have a sticky with the most common 'tweaks' to options within the ECM for the most optimal engine running/life/maintenance/etc. variables.

I think Cooter or Lowkey or some of the other gurus could do that in about 10 minutes and make it incredibly easy for the layman to at least set their machine up for mechanical success. Note that I'm not talking about power/etc. I'm referring to things like the later model XBs having that speed based cutoff on the fan (when the best time for the fan to be running is at low speed). That kind of thing.

Thanks again for the help.
    Jay

Yes, Uncheck "exhaust valve enabled" which will dis-able the exhaust valve solenoid and mask the CEL for code 21. The rest of those boxes in that section are moot now.

Thats a good idea, but everyones options will be different for what applies to them. I would like to stress that even though 98% of Buellers only need to install a fuel map that matches their intake and exhaust mods, they forget its a whole file and the ECM parameters change as well. Going through the options (as you are) is a necessary step, especially resetting AFV values to 100.

Can you elaborate on the AFV values (and where/what to do to set them to 100)? Again, I'm not wanting to delve too deeply, but what 'should' I do? I can see a very large number of places within the app addressing AFV values, so I could use some help being pointed towards the correct place to do that.

thanks again - Jay

edit - just for the record - I've successfully unchecked the "exhaust valve enabled" option and re-burnt the file to the ECM.
    Last edited by vicenzajay; 06-03-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Is the AFV setting we're discussing the 'single' setting under "rear cylinder" (or something like that). Mine is at 83.9 or so.

I should add that I (every 6 months at the season change (early spring/late fall) do a TPS reset (the easy late XB model reset), and then do a 'learning ride' as advised by John (lunaticfringe).

Should I reset the rear to 100 and then do another learning ride (following TPS reset)?

Lastly - I should note that the bike is running *very well...and has run *very well for almost 2 years at this point. I'm not trying to correct anything! I just wanted the fan to run more effectively - which caused me to start the quest into ECM droid.

When you burn a new map, it comes with the whole .xpr file and that includes more info than just fueling (like ECM parameters and AFV values).
    Anytime you burn a map, double check those settings.

Yes, the AFV is just a single number for the rear cylinder on your bike, change it to 100 and your bike will run much better. 83.9 is super lean, I have no idea why your bike did that.

IMHO TPS re-sets are unnecessary that often, but it's not hurting anything. TPS doesn't need any learning, but a new fuel tune will.

At the bottom of the O2 settings page, you'll see an adjustment range for the AFV. I think stock it's set a 60 to 150. Thats ridiculous! Bikes won't hardly run at the ends of that range! I narrow that range to 85-115.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Yes, the AFV is just a single number for the rear cylinder on your bike, change it to 100 and your bike will run much better. 83.9 is super lean, I have no idea why your bike did that.
    From the way I read it you have not changed the AFV before and been on this map for a while or forever correct? The AFV value of 83.9 is pulling roughly 16% across your fuel maps. If it was me, I would want to figure out why this much fuel is being pulled and I would first look at a failing 02 sensor being the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    At the bottom of the O2 settings page, you'll see an adjustment range for the AFV. I think stock it's set a 60 to 150. Thats ridiculous! Bikes won't hardly run at the ends of that range! I narrow that range to 85-115.
    Indeed it is a wide window but it is set to compensate for say a bad 02 or intake seal leak, under a properly working bike like you say you would never hit these parameters but there is also no benefit to change them to a tighter window either IMO.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast