Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 XB9 ECM tuning questions

Your understanding of how the ECM determines fueling is correct. It takes the sensor inputs (including TPS) to output the correct fueling settings. The internal tune doesn't change, but will adapt according to the O2.
    I wouldn't bother changing the firmware, unless you have issues with it.

"This led me to think that if the computer was trying to decide which position the throttle was in, and I was teetering between settings,"
    The ECM doesn't "decide" anything. It does what it's told to do. If it is getting bad info input from a sensor, it will output bad info. Like I said, you could mask an issue like that with tuning, but you won't solve it.

Do this:
    "all parameters should be in top working order before attempting any computer tuning"

Edit: Tigard! Haha. I grew up in Lake Oswego

Wow small world! I see several members from Phoenix and surrounding areas, which is where I was born and did a little growing up. We moved up here to Hillsboro when I was a kid and this is still where I call home. I live in Sherwood now, just south of Tigard. Paradise in Tigard and their sister shop, The PDX Speedshop ovber in the Pearl District of Portland, are my local haunts. The guy who runs the Speedshop rides a Uly most of the time so he and I get along just fine. He's trying to make the Speedshop a place that is known for servicing Buells which is really cool since there are quite a few in the area up here. I see a black and silver Lightning go by my appliance shop dam near every morning and I spotted a 1125CCR in Newberg just down the road last week. I just can't flippin' wait to get my pipe and ECM back so I can get on the road again.

I'm planning a trip up on the STT (Maybe the EBR if I'm feeling jiggy) to see my Mom who still lives in LO. I'll post up and will check those places out for sure! Mmmmmm delicious Portland beer...

Yesterday the D&D exhaust was delivered, and last night I installed it on the bike. I was eager to get back out today, so I opted not to change my spark plugs and air sensor yet.
    I started it up, and almost immediately I noticed the idle was different than before (and so was the sound!). I had never before had any issues with this bike starting, or maintaining a steady idle at start up. Today, it would hold around 1K for about 30 seconds, and then start to waiver down, and then cut off completely. At times it seemed like the bike was trying to compensate as it went down, but ultimately it wouldn't keep an idle, and fell out about 6 times. I eventually "helped" it by giving it throttle when it needed it, and it did better once warmed up. When I was set to go, I held the clutch in and put it in to 1st, but before I could give it gas to go, it quit running again. I restarted, and got going by being more aggressive with the throttle, and once I was moving, it was going great. I did notice I had to be careful at stops, and rev a bit more to avoid it dropping rpm.

I rode about 80 miles total today, and had no real other issues to speak of. I stopped for lunch for about 40 minutes, and let it cool down. when I came out it started up fine, and ran very strong.
    I'm going to see how it goes tomorrow, and give it a few rides to gather info. If the idle problem goes away, it doesn't seem like I will need to burn another code.

The only "issue" is the "dead spot" I noted before. It kicks in halfway between 3K and 4K, and seems to happen in every gear. It doesn't happen at full throttle, only cruising. It has been there for as long as I have owned the bike, and I just switched out the air filter, spark plugs and air sensor, along with complete oil change at the end of last season (just to try and rule out some basic things) and I didn't ride much until a few weeks ago... but it is still the same. When I am ready to move forward with this issue, I will replace all of that again to totally rule out those as culprits, but any ideas on other places to check?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12