Thread: How do I tell a 2008 XB12S from a pre 2008?

How do I tell a 2008 XB12S from a pre 2008?

I saw an 2009 XB12S in an ad that had the older version right hand side engine cover. The round one that says "Lightning", not the later one that says "Thunderstorm". Are there 2009's with the old cover? Does the old one fit the updated engine? Are there other ways to tell which model year the bike/engine is without the VIN number?

I'm a beginner when it comes to these bikes, but I really like them and I'm planning on buying one soon.

It sounds like its a 07 or older, Don't play games if you are serious about that bike get the VIN #s. It's not just a cover it's improved oil pump that allows a few more revs on the 08s and up.
    Do you have a pic for us to view?

With those rims, It might be a 04 - 05 , the guys on the board will know. Nice bike, but not a a 08.

http://daviddreesen.blogspot.com/201...1983-2009.html

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    With those rims, It might be a 04 - 05 , the guys on the board will know. Nice bike, but not a a 08.

http://daviddreesen.blogspot.com/201...1983-2009.html
    You were right. I emailed the seller and asked about it and now it's relisted as a 2004. Probably a typo. I don't think there was any malicious intent.

How much "better" are the 2008's? My thinking is "It has upgraded features, why not go for 2008 and up when I buy an XB?" But maybe an older one isn't so bad? The stories about oil starvation on the older ones are a bit scary, though. I wouldn't want that to happen. Any thoughts?

Inactive
    most likely a heavily modified 2005 model. you're on the right path to buell education by asking questions. do NOT buy one without dilligent research. they're getting older now and lots of problem-children out there. below is link to decoding all buell vins. best decoder i've ever seen.
    all XB's from03-07 inclusive have same style cam cover on right side with round bullet.
    all XB's from 08 thru end of production have same style cam over on right side BUT it is oval shaped and among other things contains the oiling system passages and more. it's still a 4-cam motor but many overall design and mechanical changes commencing 2008 year.
    all XB's have same engine platform. a 9 is 984cc and a 12 is 1203 cc. the increased displacement achieved thru the stroke measurement...nothing more.
    many parts interchange thru all models.

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/artike...cid=18&aid=191

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    most likely a heavily modified 2005 model. you're on the right path to buell education by asking questions. do NOT buy one without dilligent research. they're getting older now and lots of problem-children out there. below is link to decoding all buell vins. best decoder i've ever seen.
    all XB's from03-07 inclusive have same style cam cover on right side with round bullet.
    all XB's from 08 thru end of production have same style cam over on right side BUT it is oval shaped and among other things contains the oiling system passages and more. it's still a 4-cam motor but many overall design and mechanical changes commencing 2008 year.
    all XB's have same engine platform. a 9 is 984cc and a 12 is 1203 cc. the increased displacement achieved thru the stroke measurement...nothing more.
    many parts interchange thru all models.

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/artike...cid=18&aid=191
    I have been reading every bit of info I can find. I haven't seen that VIN decoder before though, thanks for the link!

Hi KoomZog, I researched for over 2 years before I settled on an 09 Firebolt. Lucked out and found a very low mileage bike, but had to ship it from Missouri to California. Low mileage caused some registration issues, but nothing I wasn't prepared for.

I chose the later model for the updates to the engine, some noted above.

Good luck with the search!