Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: messed up back wheel on the Uly

messed up back wheel on the Uly

All:

Took the 09 Uly X in for some tires, oil change, brake pads etc. Spring love. Anyway the back wheel on the sprocket side has a spun bearing housing. The wheel needs to be replaced. Lots on Ebay but how do I know they are in spec? I don't- short answer.

Do any of you have a spare back wheel you would be willing to sell? Black would be nice. The shop will be looking around but I have more faith in one of you guys then ebay or HD. I will check with StPaul HD in the morning. No super panic as I still have the EBR in service but want to expedite the whole process.

BTW -- The bike has 20,000 on it. I put on 4500 of those. I am lucky it didn't melt down in the middle of nowhere.

The shop sent me a little video of the new bearing going into the hub -- really sloppy.

Just curious, but is there anyone that rebuilds those spun out hubs? That is a lot of wheel to just pitch out if it can be salvaged.

Optomist

Inactive
    the cost might be comparable to a top quality used wheel but contact troy at below. these guys do cast bike wheels and are highly regarded. i'm assuming your rim hub ID is chewed out and won't properly hold the right side bearing outer shell....correct? you can use the undamaged left side rim hub ID spec to repair the damaged right side. have it filled via TIG...chucked up in a lathe and turned down to specs. the TIG heat in all probability will damage the factory finish but that's an easy fix.

http://www.customworksmd.net/

also...tough price to beat if it's true and straight. free freight as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D099-2004-04...NZC4R1&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by user_deleted; 06-08-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Don't all flog me at once, roughen up the surface real good, then use a spray cleaner that leaves no residual residue on the surface, heat it up a bit with a butane torch, let it cool, clean out again, put some shoe polish on the bearing, get some Belzona epoxy, mix according to directions, press onto roughened up bearing surface, install bearing with shoe polish on it, wipe off excess epoxy, let it set and fully cure, go ride !
    Last edited by njloco; 06-08-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Lunatic--You are correct as to the problem and thanks for the leads. NJLoco, I like the way you think. I will try to source a wheel from a reliable supplier this morning and go from there

Problem is the bike is in a commercial shop and they might not be comfortable with the epoxy fix. I think the tire is already mounted on the wheel too .

Opto

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by optomist View Post
    Lunatic--You are correct as to the problem and thanks for the leads. NJLoco, I like the way you think. I will try to source a wheel from a reliable supplier this morning and go from there

Problem is the bike is in a commercial shop and they might not be comfortable with the epoxy fix. I think the tire is already mounted on the wheel too .

Opto

yes sir always my pleasure. that ebay rear wheel looked like a very good deal. kenny's fix also a good suggestion though i never personally tried it.

Lunatic,

There are sure a lot of choices--from $99 to 350. Frankly I am a little unsure about buying a used wheel--just cause there is a good chance I wouldn't be any further ahead. Stpaul HD has a nice collection. They have some spendy 3 bearing wheels that I understand are the way to go to avoid future bearing issues. Your opinion on that? I am leaning in the direction of a new 3 bearing wheel, with the bearings all installed.

The ha ha is that the wheel alone would be about 1/10 of the cost of what I paid for the bike 2 years ago. Oh Well.

One thing I know for sure if I was stranded in some little town I could find a bearing, purchase some epoxy and get rolling pretty pronto. Not quite the situation I am in at the moment.

A minor irony is that the shop that is working on the bike is the shop I purchased the bike from in the first place. That bearing was probably loose in the hub when I got it 4500 miles ago--maybe I can split costs -- guilt-- you know

Opto

Opto - If you end up going with a different wheel and are going to sell the bad wheel - let me know, might want it just for display, just pm me with what you want for it

We used to do that fix on the big Caterpillar equipment, the beauty of it was, it actually was better than a machine then cut repair because it would end up being a perfect fit since the epoxy didn't expand or shrink at all and, of it could take that abuse, I know it would work here.

Good luck.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by optomist View Post
    Lunatic,

There are sure a lot of choices--from $99 to 350. Frankly I am a little unsure about buying a used wheel--just cause there is a good chance I wouldn't be any further ahead. Stpaul HD has a nice collection. They have some spendy 3 bearing wheels that I understand are the way to go to avoid future bearing issues. Your opinion on that? I am leaning in the direction of a new 3 bearing wheel, with the bearings all installed.

The ha ha is that the wheel alone would be about 1/10 of the cost of what I paid for the bike 2 years ago. Oh Well.

One thing I know for sure if I was stranded in some little town I could find a bearing, purchase some epoxy and get rolling pretty pronto. Not quite the situation I am in at the moment.

A minor irony is that the shop that is working on the bike is the shop I purchased the bike from in the first place. That bearing was probably loose in the hub when I got it 4500 miles ago--maybe I can split costs -- guilt-- you know

Opto
    personally i like quality used when the pricing is right. you can comb the world wide web but that link i sent you to the evilbay wheel is a good price and includes freight. what you have there in your favor is ebay's guarantee. use CC or paypal to pay, get the wheel, immediately without hesitation check both L&R bearing pockets and if flawless you made out well. the 09-10 three bearing wheel is great but you'll need the inner spacer and ONLY that wheel has a single external spacer....see schematic for same. no other XB wheels have that spacer. must have it to properly install and load the bearings.
    regarding the longevity question you posed just merely lightly mod the idler pulley assembly to lighten the load on the right side wheel bearing. you do this by removing 1mm-2mm of material from the bottom of the front mount hole and the top of the rear mount hole then rotate CC during installation. old bastard trick to ease the tension.

items #1 &2 in schematic required

5820_20100910124152_L.jpg

Luna,
    Yes, I hear you loud and clear on the quality issue. My dilemma in this instance is that the bike is not in my garage but in a professional shop 100 miles away. Decent and competent guys but a small shop--crammed. Being a decent guy, myself, I did not want to inflict any issues on the shop. So, impetuous me, just went ahead and ordered the 3 bearing wheel, with the bearings installed from stpaulhd. and had it drop shipped to them. I am pretty sure it will all be correct and the shop can just install and away I go.

They are aware of the spacer issues. I will forward your comments to them as well as the schematic ( for which, much thanks).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast