Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess what I'm doing this weekend!

That is NOT a fun job!

Due to the tight confines, I could not get the James blue seals to fit and let the flange bolts line up with the bosses on the head. Maybe if I had a 3rd hand it could have happened, but I also bought a set of stock seals as a fall back.

Anyhow, if you haven't read others posts about this task, please do! Getting the correct tools to do this job is paramount! I wound up cutting down a old 1/2" wrench. I also cut down a old 1/4" Allen wrench and was able to finagle that into working with a small 1/4" wrench.

So, it starts right up and revs well, no more stumble, even when cold. So, yay!

And... while I was laying on the ground, I noticed a leaky fork seal. Dang! I just rebuilt those! Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    And... while I was laying on the ground, I noticed a leaky fork seal. Dang! I just rebuilt those! Ugh!

Cooter, I need the part number for the fork seals... pronto!

You should PM Lunatic, early in the morning. Oh! and ask about Seafoam

Looks like you have the perfect excuse to spend fathers day in the garage with a beer, or 3
    Last edited by Cooter; 06-15-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Inactive
    ^^^^^knock it off shaughn! SeaFoam shall not be taken lightly or joked about. it's a serious additive for serious riders.

aaron: here's your part numbers. don't know the year of your XB so listed all except ulysses seals. i'm assuming you're going to local dealer to fetch these so only provided OEM part numbers. all balls also has nice seal and dust cover kits available.
    IMPORTANT: don't make the mistake many others have made during installation. THE PRINTING ON THE SEAL FACE ALWAYS FACES ATMOSPHERE!!!

PART NUMBERS:
    early model XB up thru 2004
    fork seal - 45875-84A
    dust seal - J8130.02A8 comes two in one package

2005 and later except uly
    Lightning Fork Seal J8127.3A8.......1 per package

Cooter is supposed to send me a no-leak race map for my seals. Why is this taking so long??!?!?!?!?!?

Sorry it took so long. I really apologize. I drove from LA to the dealer near you in Phx and had the guy look them up. Lunatic is right, those are the numbers. I'm on my way back to LA right now, but stopped at a rest stop to post this for you.

I'll drop them in the mail first thing, unless you want me to come back out and install them? I could be back in the morning...

Watever brah.

No leak race map worked flawlessly!

After I installed the new seal, of course.

I think it took me more time to take the fork off than replace the seal. I'm getting pretty good at these forks now, but they are pretty straightforward. The trick was realizing I could unscrew the fork cap from the damper rod assy. That's a big time saver. I also had to keep in mind that the assembly procedure for the wiper,seal, washer and bushing is backwards from a regular (non-USD) fork.

I cleaned mine with the Seals Mating , and it stopped the leak. I was pleasantly surprised.
    sealmate1.jpg imaseages.jpg

Last edited by Silverrider; 06-18-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12