Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9R - Stumbles When Warm

2003 XB9R - Stumbles When Warm

Just bought a 2003 XB9R. I've always wanted a Buell, and the price on this one was too good to pass up.

However, the previous owner did some... interesting things. Like putting a Jardine RT1 on and removing the baffle and packing. Fixed that one myself, but it's still loud. I've got a QMI on order. He also didn't do any tuning on the ECM. It also sat for 3 years because he didn't ride it.

I also have an ECM cable on order and hope to receive it soon.

Now for my current problem - when the bike is first started and cool, it runs fine (if a bit loud). But after it heats up, it stumbles (sounds like the engine is cutting it and then restarting) and pops on deceleration. If I pull in the clutch and twist the throttle, it revs and works well for a bit but the problem soon returns.

The "only when warm" thing has me stumped. I've looked on the Internet, but haven't found a solution.

Help!

Inactive
    you have a fuel delivery problem pure and simple. i would NOT throw one single part at it before you receive your cable and software and take a look at the ecm unit....specifically diagnostics section and stored historical codes. you're going to find that you have several including but not limited to 13,16,23,32. a fuel delivery problem may involve a lazy/failing O2 sensor but in all probability your gremlin lies within the fuel pump assembly.....internal connector hose...failing pump...PR unit.....sock filter. below are the fault codes for your year XB. hang onto them for diagnostics when you run same. and the reason that you can pull in the clutch and "rev" the motor with no problem is that there is no load on the motor during that maneuver. no load means minimal fueling demands. the decel pop quite common with stock mapping and that ear piercing exhaust you're running.

The trouble codes are as follows:

11 Throttle position sensor
    13 Oxygen sensor
    14 Engine temperature sensor
    15 Intake air temperature sensor
    16 Battery voltage
    21 Interactive muffler control (XB12 only)
    23 Front fuell injector
    24 Front ignition coil
    25 Rear ignition coil
    32 Rear fuell injector
    33 Fuell pump
    35 Tachometer
    36 Cooling fan
    44 Bank angle sensor
    52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure
    56 Cam sync failure

Quote Originally Posted by AntiElvis View Post

Now for my current problem - when the bike is first started and cool, it runs fine (if a bit loud). But after it heats up, it stumbles (sounds like the engine is cutting it and then restarting) and pops on deceleration. If I pull in the clutch and twist the throttle, it revs and works well for a bit but the problem soon returns.

The "only when warm" thing has me stumped. I've looked on the Internet, but haven't found a solution.

Help!
    Mine was doing that too, turned out to be intake seals on my bike. Mine did it when cold or hot, though.

The seals are cheap. I think HD gets less than $10 for the pair. It is not a fun job, though. You will be working in a very confined space and need very small and/or "flex" tools, not to mention a lot of patience/tenacity.

I'd do what lunatic mentioned first, check for any codes, then consider the seals. You can test with propane (look for lowkeys post) or pretty much any fluid, just be careful. You'll need to pull the scoops to get access to the flanges.

I did mine "just because" as my bike is 10 years old and I suspected those seals (and knew it was just a matter of time, anyhow).

Jardine pipe is pretty loud. I had one on an SX I had for a brief minute before I bought my 1125CR. Good sound on the 9.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-14-2017 at 10:54 PM.

A stock tune and aftermarket pipe will run very lean, and like crap. Get the codes figured out and get a good tune that matches the pipe on it. The see how she runs

Thanks for the ideas!

I remapped the ECU using ECMspy and the cable. I figured out how to load the race maps. The bike seems to run a lot smoother now, but there's still some hesitation when it gets warm (when the fan's on). The hesitation seems to be when running at a steady state (not on acceleration or deceleration) and between 3500 and 4000. I took a look at the fuel maps, and it looks like the fuel is cut back at that point. Not sure why.

Oh, also did the TPS reset. The reading wouldn't go below 0.8 degrees. I reset it anyway because the starting point was over 6 degrees. It's still over 6, and I'm wondering what might explain that. That being said, the air filter is dirty so I might replace it. Might that help?

Thanks!

Oh, I should add - there weren't any trouble codes. Strange...

Inactive
    Oh, also did the TPS reset. The reading wouldn't go below 0.8 degrees. I reset it anyway because the starting point was over 6 degrees. It's still over 6, and I'm wondering what might explain that.

mis-adjusted throttle cables with the non-idle(puller) cable being too tight.
    an extremely dirty TB assembly that won't allow the air valve plate to fully close.

I'll take a look tonight. Thanks!

Aaaaand... the pipe from the headers to the can is cracked and has a dime-sized hole in it.

The more I dig into this bike, the more I see that I'm fixing the previous owner's hack jobs/mistakes... But it's about what I expected for a $2,000 bike.

Don't get to hung up on TPS value, when you flash over data from other EEPROMS the TPS value comes along for the ride along with it. You would just do what you did in that case (and every time IMO) back out the adjuster until the throttle butterfly is fully closed then reset to zero through software and back it in and set warm idle to 1,000. The other thing I'll mention is the "5.1" value you may have read or be looking for does not apply to the tps value when using ECMDroid, 6.3 is around what you will see and you may also notice a WOT value of 80 MAX but everything is fine and these are just the way the software works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast