Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell XB12R battery losing charge

TPEHAK,

I am going to try and put one of these together. The parts are pretty cheap, but I will find a way to mess up one or two of them before getting it right. I viewed your assembly instructions and it looks pretty easy. Thanks for the info.

Cooter,

I might try to perform the Free Running Current Draw Test, pull-in, hold-in, and return test on the solenoid to see if I can identify anything. I was reading about the tests in the service manual and in theory they seem fairly easy to perform. At the least it will help me to learn more about the bike, at worst I destroy the solenoid somehow and have to buy a new one. As you said they are cheap so I won't have to take out a second mortgage to fund it.
    Last edited by 07FireboltXB12R; 06-25-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Where is this located on the bike?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FireboltXB12R View Post
    Where is this located on the bike?
    big lump atop starter assembly

LOL

I guess that I was just hoping (for some odd reason) that I wouldn't have to remove the starter to replace the solenoid. #newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hey Cooter, I believe this dude is trying to work on an xb12r.
    Are the solenoids the same for XB and 1125 models?

Also, I think 07firebolt needs to list what he's done so far to diagnose his parasitic battery draw issue. Well, that's only if this is still the issue.
    Because right now, I'm confused.

I listed in this post most of what I had done for the diagnostics. I believe that cooter stated that he was concerned with the clicking sounds after the battery had weakened. He then recommended to just replace the solenoid. I bought the solenoid that he sent me the link to.
    To summarize the things I have done:
    New battery, new VR, tested all fuses and relays. Inspected most of the accessible wiring for obvious signs of damage. Removed and cleaned all connectors for accessible wiring. Most of this originated from batteries going dead (3 batteries in all including the new one which was purchased last week, still good though) in the past 18-24 months or so. The first two batteries dropped in voltage very fast over 24-48 hours to below 10 V. The voltage was lower than that each day after the first 48 hours or so. The new battery is holding voltage but since I bought a new solenoid I will put it in. I have been reading the service manual and checking out vids where I can find them regarding the starter/solenoid. I don't think that I have come across anyone that has said they enjoyed removing the starter. I started last night and will continue with it momentarily.

Thanks for everyone's assistance. Although it's a pain in the ass I am learning things about the bike that I should have known already.

This is an 07 XB12R as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast