Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust question

Exhaust question

All,

I promise, I tried the search function but was unable to find what I was looking for.

I want to add an exhaust to my 03 XB9S, I am thinking D&D or Jardine or I keep hearing about Drummer..(other suggestions are welcome). The question I have is, do I have to modify the ECM or can I keep it stock? Is there an exhaust that works better with the stock tune?

Again, I am sure this has been covered but I couldn't find it.

The Drummer is heavier than the Jardine but the sound is very very Harley Davidson, I have it and decided to keep it. If you change exhaust you want to load a matching tune to your ECU, and it would be an ideal time to install a K&N as well. This is not hard to do, and not expensive. There are several vendors that sell the Bluetooth dongles well under $100 and distribute tunes, and there are several tunes out on various websites. Tons of info on the topic can be found here: http://www.buelltooth.com/ecm-basics.html

I had a Jardine on an XB9SX that I had for a bit. I thought that sounded great on that bike. I've heard the XB12's do bad things to Jardine pipes though.

If you go with Jardine, pack it with Bristol Core, that stuff is indestructible.

Definitely need a tune with any muffler modification. The stock Buell pipe is the primary and secondary muffler all in one unit. It has a mile of piping inside there so if you hollow it out or swap out to a free flowing unit, there will be a huge change that has to be matched in the tuning.

Bigbuckeye, something to think about is how much noise you are willing to put up with or want. Some exhausts are stupidly loud.

Thanks guys....yeah....I want a good sound that isn't just loud....probably not the D&D from past experience I guess.

Recommend the Drummer...great sound but definitely *not too loud. More of a growl - especially between 3-4K rpm.

Very nice and 'flat' torque curve with the Drummer as well.

I highly recommend checking out www.deanadamsdesigns.com
    Dean's system is not the cheapest, but certainly is the highest quality I have seen still available. The sound is rich and throaty, not obnoxiously loud like the D&D I heard. I have listened to the Latus pipe as well and thought it sounded a lot like the Drummer rig. He has a tuning service available as well, it helped my bike run much better all around after installing his pipe.

Deans pipe is the loudest pipe you can buy. Just ask him, or anyone who's bought one.

They are very high quality and provide great power and sound, but the loudest.

IMO The BEST!!!!! Just look at this pipe !!
    They are very high quality and provide great power and sound, The Safest helps you be heard and seen !

Keda_742.jpg Keda_744.jpg IMG_20161109_193405.jpgIMG_20161110_193623.jpgAttachment 7504

Last edited by Silverrider; 06-24-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast