Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on buying a Ulysses

Thoughts on buying a Ulysses

I've been riding for about three years now, on a Yamaha Virago 750 from the mid-90s. I'd like a bit more gumption at 65+ mph just to dodge crazies on the highway. I prefer sitting upright.

I've been considering a number of bikes, including the V-Strom 650 and the Yamaha Versys. I'm scheduled to test-ride an '06 Ulysses with under 20k on it later today.

I searched around the forum and didn't find too much in the way of specific guidance, but my question is basically this:

Is buying a used Ulysses like I describe a good idea or not? I don't mind wrenching on things, but I REALLY don't want to be stranded somewhere. I also don't like paying out the nose for parts. Egan's long-term review provides comfort, but I am concerned I'd be buying a motorcycle I'd spend more time fixing than riding.

So, fire away. Your thoughts?

The Uly is a solid ride. If you know basic mechanics, I'd think you'd be better off with it than even the stunning GS. The Bimmer is the king of that class of M/C for a reason, but my adventures are usually way, way from dealers and I'm alone. As rare as something going wrong is.. I'd rather have a shot of fixing it myself

Just one guys opinion

And, it looks like I put this in the wrong forum. Anyone want to help me out and move it to the XB12X forum?

I hate when that happens ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !

A Uly is one of Buells Best bikes untill he came out with the EBR 1190, Of course the ULY is a adventure bike, EBR is a world class sport bike. You cannot go wrong with a ULY ! IMO, I have had a couple.

So I've looked at this post a couple times but didn't feel qualified to post. For some reason I feel differently now. I purchased an 09 xt a few weeks ago. Been riding every day rain or shine to go to work, Costco or anywhere else. So far everything seems to be good, I have similar issues as others have posted though.

I noticed a crack in the ecm, shaved the seat a bit but i need to shave it a bit more to be safe. Every once in a while shifting from neutral to first the motor seems like it almost dies for a split second then comes back just fine. There's so many troubleshooting ideas on this site I have half a dozen things to check now. But luckily I haven't been left stranded and hopefully it doesn't happen.

Coming from a honda Cb500x, the cb was way better on gas but I attribute it to two reasons. 1 average mpg isn't as good. 2 I ride this bike so much harder because it feels like it wants to be and it's so much fun!!!

Now regarding parts, they are all expensive. A $20 difference in part cost is negligible when compared to a honda. The guy I bought it from said it wasn't a ton of maintenance or repairs and he had all the work done by an hd dealership nearby. So far I have spent 20 minutes fixing it and riding it about an hour a day for the past few weeks. Hopefully this doesn't jinx me. All in all I love this bike and am very happy with my decision, problems and all.

Adjusting the clutch play is pretty simple, check how much play you have in the clutch lever.

What I've always loved about my uly is; its does pretty much everything pretty damn well. Its fairly fast (very fun), handles with the best of them, carries an ample amount of weight and luggage, is relatively comfy, can handle some light rough terrain easily without the rider needing much off-road skill, rides very well 2-up, sounds amazing, and looks just weird enough to be a great conversation piece. Not only do i feel better about riding american rather than a BMW, Buell people are WAAAY NICER!lol

so yeah, buy it !!!

Love my uly XT! I wanted more street and the 2008 motor, I'm sure the X is a great bike. Interesting bike, conversation bike for sure. Does everything very well but if your looking to break a land speed record, keep looking!

If you want a turnkey bike that goes forever, get a Honda. If you want a relationship with a quirky girl that will have you stand out from the crowd, get a Buell.

Read all you can about the "known" issues, like wheel bearings and rocker cover gaskets. It's not about "if" it will happen, it's about "when" it will happen.

Best thing is guys on forums like this that will try everything to get you back on the road.

Get the Uly and you will not regret it. It is amazing and I will always own mine. Handling is great and I can hold my own in any situation and 2 up and seen much better riders than me really do some amazing stuff on it. I have 46K Miles on my Uly, purchased it with 13K, it's maintenance is as good or better then most other bikes, I have had to put a stator last month, an ECM cracked, intake seals replaced about 2 years ago, as well as an EAV, exhaust actuator which I hear is optional. Bike is totally stock except for the couple of minor mods on this site, breather re-route, ground wire, remove horn mounting straps, K&N Air Filter, etc.... I was also hit by a pickup truck while riding it and walked away. The pickup was totaled and the Uly frame was unscratched and bike was rebuilt with no issues and all parts were available in 2015.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast