Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on buying a Ulysses

Here is a low mile one. With only 5693 miles

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...B12X-122736984

Description & Comments

2006 Buell Ulysses ,With only 5693 miles, the bike is in near perfect condition having never been used for any type of off-road . fresh oil and filter , New battery, taller windshield, it is wired for a battery tender.

This is the bike to get if you are in the market for a Ulysses, or a great back road touring bike that handles like a sport bike with an up-right riding position . Adult owner, always garaged , covered and never been tipped , scratched or abused.
    The bike is near perfect! Clean title, You can add extras , but you can't remove miles .
    Do not contact me with low ball offers, unless you are here standing next to the bike. If you see this ad it is still available.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 07-27-2017 at 06:02 PM.

I bought a an 06 Uly in March. Had 22k miles on it and newish tires. It had even been dumped once and had some scratches on the bug screen (colored plastic shield above headlights). I ended up paying 4200 for it bc I cannot find Uly's in Michigan, let alone at the 4k price mark. I'd say get it. Maybe go over it with the dealer to see what work has been done to see if some of the issues have been addressed.

The biggest issues I've heard of are the Packard connector plug on the stator (I believe that's where it was). The pins in the connector don't always make good contact (weren't overbent enough to provide good spring force for a tight contact against mating pins), but I've heard you can just overbend those pins yourself and it is fine, opposed to cutting out the connector and splicing wires together.

The second large issue I've heard of is the ECM cracking. IIRC there is a stand-off block you can purchase or make to attach near the ECM that sits higher than the ecm and protects it from being crushed by the seat. Previous owner of my bike was a machinist and had already made a block and put it there. But you could easily make one on your own if you can't purchase one.

I have had no real issues with mine. The wheel bearing issue I read about seems to be hit or miss. One guy on here claimed to have 55k miles on his OEM wheel bearings on an 06 Uly. So I'm not sure what the deal is there. If you're concerned, I'd just ride it until the tires need changing, then have the wheel bearings replaced while they have the wheel off. I don't remember the good bearings to use, but it's in this forum somewhere.

Take a look on craigslist to see what they go for used. If it seems comparable, then I'd say go for it and if you decide to sell it in a year, you could probably not lose much.

Usefull info For me. I am picking up my Uly in a geweest weeks. It van sit ou the winter in my garage and wil be released in spring.

Cool! Just make sure to peruse this forum for common issues and look into that this winter to make sure it's ready to go for the summer. Have fun!

Haha that’s excactly what I was intending to do. I bought a well maintained bike with Aboutaleb 50000mile = 80000km on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123