Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H-D front fork oil (Type E)

H-D front fork oil (Type E)

Hi Guys,
    I have to change oil and seals in front fork in my 2007 XB12SS. I read a lot about suspension's oils and i decided to buy original Harley-Davidson oil.
    In manual is information that for Showa fork in XB series is "Type E HD-99884-80". I called to HD dealer and they told me that HD-99884-80 was replaced by Type E 62600026. I'm little confused because i see that HD-99884-80 is still available in some countries.

Could You tell me something about 62600026 oil? Specs is the same like HD-99884-80? I want to suspension's stiffness was the same like in stock bike. Maybe somebody used 62600026 and can tell something about his impressions after ride?

Thx for help,
    Regards

IMO. You're out thinking the problem. There is no way theres a measurable difference in handling between two different brands of the same weight fork oil.

It's oil, and HD oil is just re-branded from another MFG. They don't refine it themselves Heck, The forks are made by Showa...
    Any high quality fork oil in the weight you need will be fine. If you are near the end of the suspension adjustments that you like, get a lighter or heavier oil. Otherwise stock (I believe 5w) will be fine.

I currently weigh 220lbs geared up, so I typically use 7.5w and have used 10w with success when it's super hot or I'm beating it at a track day.

My current weight is around 200lbs (91kgs). Till now, my suspension was set like in Buell manual and i was satisfied so i don't want to change oil for another with different specs. My bike have almost 16000 kilometers mileage so probably fork oil was never changed - i have this bike since 2013 and mileage around 8000kms.

If You claim that the difference will be unmeasurable so i will take this new HD oil Type E.

I just rebuilt the forks on my SS and used Type E oil. I wasnt sure of the oil used and condition that was in my forks, so after reviewing the suspension setup chart, it seemed like stock oil was a great place to start. I'm about 210. It appears that Buell/Showa designed the suspension more around an "American" sized person.

I've usually had to go up a weight or so on my Japanese bikes, as well as replacing the springs with something quite a bit heavier. It seems like those guys ship their suspension for someone closer to 125lb

If I remember correctly, the fork (at least on my SS) required just a bit more than a (pint) bottle per side.

Inactive
    type E has never changed. H-D changed the dealer part # to simplify ordering and update system. the part # 99884-80 was close to 40 years old and was simply a number change. it has been applied to both cartridge and conventional telescopic forks for over 50 years.
    H-D type E is in fact 10wt and as shaughn stated thru the years has been bottled by and supplied to H-D by maxima, bel-ray and even castrol many decades ago.
    though type E is readily available and works fine i personally prefer a dedicated fork oil from one of the popular manufacturers that contains "seal swell"......or i add my own dosage of same in a rate of 1 oz. per pint.
    you may see some internet banter stating that "seal swell" increases "friction" in cartridge forks. in the words of the legendary Jesus Quintana "Laughable.....Man!"

Last edited by user_deleted; 06-28-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Thx Guys, now i know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    If I remember correctly, the fork (at least on my SS) required just a bit more than a (pint) bottle per side.
    Please correct me if i'm wrong but in 2007 SS Long had the same height suspension like XB12S. Since 2008 front suspension was a little higher so maybe then we need a little more oil than a pint?
    Last edited by lukasz; 06-28-2017 at 07:43 AM.

He knows his stuff:
    ozpBdUv.jpg
    Next...

I would never add fork oil by the quantity. The fork oil level is the important spec and pretty critical.

Would any of you go as high as 20w if heat (I live in TX) was a concern? I'm waffling, just looking for opinions and hopefully experience with these bikes. Yeah, I can already see the comments about opinions, etc.

The other thing I'm concerned with is the absolute crap I ride on (roads). They truly suck.

NO.
    you're confusing "heat" with "temperature". two entirely different circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast