Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think it's head gasket time? Need help!

Think it's head gasket time? Need help!

IMG_20170705_132118259.jpg Think my head gaskets gone, just rotated engine out thinking it was rocker gaskets. Can I replace the head gaskets in the bike. I have done the rocker gaskets before but never the head gasket what would I need and how would I do it? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

It would be much easier to use the manual for that procedure than explaining it post by post.

Buelmods.com or Buelltooth.com should have a .pdf for you for free.

Have the shop manual just didn't know if y'all had any advice because the manual doesn't give as much detail as someone who has done it.

Cooter does that look like the head gasket and rocker gasket to you?

My 2 cents, When my rear rocker was leaking it looked the same. So I cleaned it up with gas and a brush, then watched closely to see were it was coming from. Looking at your pic it appears from your rocker and down your head but not below your gasket and on your not cylinder. But Cooter will know. It does look like its clean at the gasket ,like maybe not blown out.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 07-06-2017 at 01:28 PM.

sorry about the double click .

The rocker gasket will leak oil just like that and flow down the fins in all sorts of hard to find ways. That said, it's pretty rare that a head gasket will still seal compression, but leak oil.

If you've got the rocker boxes off (that are definitely leaking on your bike), the head gaskets aren't much harder to do at all.

If I had to clean my crystal ball really well and guess, I'd say the rocker boxes are leaking and that's all.

Test it like Silver did

Thanks.

Never, EVER use gasoline as a solvent! It's highly flammable and explosive! VERY risky! An acquaintance of mine was burnt so badly with gasoline that he begged his wife to shoot him but she didn't have to, he died the next day and I knew another guy whose face and hands were badly disfigured in a gasoline explosion. Not recommended...

If you are rotating the motor already anyway, it's like five more minutes of work to separate the frame from the motor and swingarm. It's well worth the little bit of extra effort to work on something in the open.

(****ty pic)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast