Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Think it's head gasket time? Need help!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    Never, EVER use gasoline as a solvent! It's highly flammable and explosive! VERY risky! An acquaintance of mine was burnt so badly with gasoline that he begged his wife to shoot him but she didn't have to, he died the next day and I knew another guy whose face and hands were badly disfigured in a gasoline explosion. Not recommended...
    Sorry to hear about your friends, Most good stuff is flammable, One must be very careful to say the least!!!!

Been seeing online people using oven cleaner as a engine degreaser anyone have a reason I shouldn't give that a try? Because the Buell does act like a oven to our inner thighs and then some...

What ever you use, make sure it does not mark up your plastics or frame, Test it first on unseen places. Dont ask How I know.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 07-06-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Banned
    Try Maxima CleanUp chain cleaner, it is O-ring safe, so at least it will not eat rubber parts. Just spray it, brush it and rinse with water.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-07-2017 at 03:01 AM.

Nice have to see where I can pick some up.

Banned
    https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-75920-...+chain+cleaner

I use it on motorcycle chain and bicycle chain and have good result. Once I sprayed it everywhere on my bicycle around chain and sprockets to cleat it from oil and dirt and I have not noticed any paint damage or discoloration with this product, but anyway be careful with painted surfaces and plastic. Also you have to rinse this product with water, it is will not dry by itself.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-07-2017 at 03:56 AM.

I use neutragena acne wash... takes the oils right off.

With micro scrubbing beads lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Sorry to hear about your friends, Most good stuff is flammable, One must be very careful to say the least!!!!
    I imagine most solvents are flammable but as the Buell Service Manual states: "Gasoline is EXTREMELY flammable and highly explosive, which could lead to death or serious injury."
    Taking care does not prevent accidents and why take risks that have possible dire consequences? Paint thinner, Varsol, even diesel fuel do not have the risks associated with gasoline so I'll say again, never, EVER use gasoline as a solvent!

Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    If you are rotating the motor already anyway, it's like five more minutes of work to separate the frame from the motor and swingarm. It's well worth the little bit of extra effort to work on something in the open.

(****ty pic)
    wish i'd seen your pic before i put the motor back up in the ulysses. I would've painted my rocker box covers, i like that look!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast