Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtb buell scg rear shock so I can lower my bike

Wtb buell scg rear shock so I can lower my bike

WTB Buell scg rear shock need to lower my Buell xb12ss

Bad idea. Won't work on a SS, unless you get the shock extension for swapping the long swing arm onto the short bikes. I've been meaning to try a XB12S shock without the extension to see if it would be similar height as the SCG shock with the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    Bad idea. Won't work on a SS, unless you get the shock extension for swapping the long swing arm onto the short bikes. I've been meaning to try a XB12S shock without the extension to see if it would be similar height as the SCG shock with the extension.
    Does anyone know the measurements between a scg, a S and a SS shock

CG Suspension on a Ss,
    the mount on the frame of a Ss is 1" lower on the frame and the mount on the swingarm is farther back. Basically the same distance as a short frame mount to a short frame swingarm mount distance. You don't need a extension for a Ss or Uly, you need a extension when adding a long swingarm to a short frame.
    00V0V_1O3iZwfKs3i_1200x900.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oh9bolt; 07-09-2017 at 06:25 AM.

2017-07-09 00.10.46.jpg

S/R Frame shock mount on the left, Ss/Uly shock mount on the right.

5956_20111214072133_L.jpg

S/R Swingarm mount

2017-07-09 00.31.58.jpg

Ss/Uly Swingarm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oh9bolt; 07-09-2017 at 06:32 AM.

wow thankyou for the good info

Interesting... I thought there were other fitment issues such as reservoir and fluid line routing/mounting with such a swap? I have an 08 Uly XT and am looking to lower, heard the SS shock was the best method and that the regular S/R/Scg shocks would not work. Is this true? I'm aware I would lose the remote preload adjuster, but for the little bit of packed down/two-up riding I do, I'm fine removing the seat to access the adjustment.

Either way, @Catmostfeared - if you're taking that SS shock off, what would you want for it??

Also, what year is the bike (IIRC they changed the shock at one point)...

Hi, So does mean you've installed the CG suspension on an SS yourself? If so, (similar to XB12MN's comment) did you have any fitment issues with the rear strut after it was lowered? (It looks like a lowered geometry might push the strut into the top of the tunnel) Thanks!

Great info '09! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast